1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Because it is. Go back to law school. You have not made even a minimally convincing argument in favor of abandoning due process.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why is it more important than being able to more effectively prosecute and close sex crime cases?

The damage of excepting sex crimes from due process would be minimal - a small number of false convictions each year.

The damage of applying due process is enormous - sex criminals walk free, resulting in tens of thousands of additional victims.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Look out for the tree!

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I’m going to indulge Dick’s weird games just for this one post to point out that the false accusation rate under the current system does not automatically transfer to the false accusation rate under a hypothetical system.

This is illustrative of why these “extending the logic” hypotheticals are worthless intellectual wanking.

5. Dick Whitman

I think that, too.

Tell me why you think that.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Great. Now you see where he's headed with the argument and how it fits into your initial statement.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yes.

Blackstone's formulation and its many cousins are foundational arguments for the validity and necessity of due process. But, again, you know this answer. So, after all these many pages, I think it's a great time for you to make your point, instead of posing iterations of the same question over and over again until someone answers the way you hope they will.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is no argument. Or at least not one I consented to.

9. Dick Whitman

I understand why due process is important in a vacuum, yes.

10. Dick Whitman

I made my point pretty early on, and I've reiterated it over and over again. I find, "The accuser is to be believed is my default," to be patronizing grandstanding if one isn't willing to then find a way to incorporate it into the criminal law. It's an empty gesture. I am comfortable pledging simply to take accusations as seriously as accusations of any other crime.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Dick argued with you without your consent!? Throw the book at him!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.