1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

At least Louis C K asked, first.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's not, but we've all made that point several times already, too. So we done here?

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Where does it fall on the Facebook wallpaper scale (-7 = “If you love Jesus you’ll repost this” to +7 = “I fucking love science!”)?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One question: Is it acceptable for a person to simply treat allegations, even allegations he or she hears in the news, seriously rather than "believing" the accuser as a default?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What does "treating them seriously" mean?

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In very broad strokes: You will process information related to the allegations as you would any other allegations. You will not presume as a default that the accuser is lying. You reserve the right to change your mind as further information is available.

I'm not asking if this is the position you would necessarily take yourself, but whether it is in the range of acceptable positions.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

OK if I weigh in the fact that the system was built by men for men as well as administered overwhelmingly by men and is inherently unfair to women? Because that's my personal default when I'm in the court of public opinion's over-sized jury box considering a sexual misconduct allegation.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. doctorquant

So long as you also note that the presumption of innocence, another of those creations of white men (!!!!!!) that perpetuate the patriarchy (!!!!!!), is included in that oh-so-white-ish Article 11 of the United Nations’ Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don’t get your point. Did somebody suggest our judicial system shouldn’t have presumption of innocence as one of its pillars?

11. doctorquant

Someone suggested our system was of, by and for white men. Can’t remember who ...:rolleyes:

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Slippery slope?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.