1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The photo is bad, no question.

Rick’s view of what’s gaslighting is as ridiculous as everything else he has said on this thread. But, I guess it’s valuable that I have learned from the world’s most fully formed human male.

His statement is not victim-blaming and is totally logical given events that happened 12 years ago. He apologized, without reservation regarding the photo. That isn’t in much dispute, at least to me, and I’m pretty comfortable being opposite the zealots there.

SnarkShark and Stoney like this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Don't be dumb. The accusations are credible to any reasonable person.

If someone accused Franken of attempted murder with descriptions as specific as Tweeden's, people would rightly scoff at his "denial."

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Calling for his own investigation is just trying to plea bargain out. He doesn’t have the moral authority to represent Democrats

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I said this on the other thread, but he still doesn't address Tweeden's specific accusations about the kiss.

That he doesn't, in a statement in which he specifically and thoroughly addresses just about everything else, is a pretty big tell.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The implied consent comes from her getting a boob job and the pictures of her scantily dressed all over the internet.

doctorquant and YankeeFan like this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I wrote a "Where Are They Now?"-type piece in which the subject had two sexual misconduct incidents in his past: He plead out to a sex crime in high school, then had another where he was investigated, but eventually they did not have enough evidence to go forward. The incident was reported, in light detail, at the time, in the minor-league city where he was playing. I asked him about it and obtained the police file.

It kept me up, seriously, multiple nights figuring out what to do. I ended up not including the second incident in the exposition portion of the piece. Not sure if I would handle it the same way now.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So, in the light of all of this discussion of believing women's accusations, how is it that Mitch McConnell can say "I believe the women" when the subject is Roy Moore, but they're all liars when they're talking about Donald Trump?

10. Dick Whitman

Refresh my memory. What did McConnell say about Trump's accusers?

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sigh. Ok, I'll concede on that. I imagine that he had something to say at some point, but he's a politician and it was probably cautiously worded. I don't feel like digging for a quote on it, because basically every search I try to google comes up pages deep in McConnell and Roy Moore at this point.

Let's reword it then. The GOP has a very real problem regarding this, because if they say that they, in general, believe women who say that they were sexually harassed or assaulted, the next question to come up will be with regard to how Trump's accusers have been treated. Back when all that first started, Trump said that all of them "would be sued, believe me." So where are the lawsuits? How can they justify the two very divergent positions? We all know that a lot of it is that they don't need Roy Moore if he's going to bring this much grief, but the same can't be said about Donald Trump.

12. Dick Whitman

They were too ugly to sexually assault. Everyone knows that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.