1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The fedora/Doc Martens combo is a nice touch.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Scumbag. And, likely another “open secret” in Washington.

A few hours later, I saw him in deep conversation with a number of men I worked with. My gut told me something was up. I worried he was covering his tracks by spreading a rosy version of the night. As many people told me in the course of reporting this story, Thrush is a talker — or, as many put it, “a bullshitter.” He likes to hear gossip, and he likes to spread it.

Gradually, things in the office started to change for me. Certain men in the newsroom, I thought, started to look at me differently. Some of their comments seemed a bit too familiar or were outright offensive. I had a nagging sense that I just wasn’t as respected as I used to be.

I started to think maybe I shouldn’t be in journalism if I couldn’t hang in a tough newsroom. I found myself on edge, nervous and anxious all the time. I started to believe I had brought this all on myself.

In the course of reporting this story, I was told by a male reporter who’d worked at Politico at the time that my instinct was right. He said that the day after that night at the bar, Thrush told him about the incident, except with the roles reversed. I had come onto him, the reporter said Thrush told him, and he had gently shut it down.

In a statement, Thrush denied that he disparaged me to colleagues at Politico. He said that “the encounter described [in this story] was consensual, brief, and ended by me.”

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Part of the point of these stories, though, is that it's a 50-year-old star reporter doing it to women who are virtually powerless. The 20-year-old reporter isn't sliding his hand up on a women's thigh, it's the veteran in the fedora who knows young women might be in awe of his "star power" enough to acquiesce to sleeping with his fugly ass.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

And that sort of behavior cuts across all sorts of industries. We hear about the actors and politicians, people whose names are known, but it happens in ordinary offices all the time. People who have a history, a reputation, and a lot of contacts can do a rising young woman a lot of good, or knife her subtly, and they know it. That is an incentive to brush off or keep quiet about behavior which should have had consequences to the person higher on the food chain.

Nothing new, but it's good that it is being talked about - except by the harasser in chief.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What about drunk enough?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

LOL.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

AKA, "How to Spot a Douche in Less Than 5 Seconds."

9. Dick Whitman

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

A big reason that I think a lot of people have reacted the way they have at these recent scandals is that we all kind of understand the workplace to be sacred from these kind of shenanigans, a "safe space," in the current parlance. You don't have to go to the bar. You don't have to go to the frat party. But, shit, almost everyone goes to work. Not that you should get your ass grabbed at the bar, either, but it feels so much worse happening at work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.