1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, what should be the greater takeaway from the fact that the person who wrote the BuzzFeed Vox article about Thrush is also a victim of his?

That it's a huge, and unnecessary conflict of interest, or that -- despite his behavior being an "open secret" -- no one other than one of his victims was willing to write the story?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Alleged victim.

3. Dick Whitman

I knew he was bad news when he penned the "bowed to overwhelming pressure" lede.

4. YankeeFan

OK. Sure -- though my inclination is to take her at her word. Why would she lie, and when you consider that the percentage of false claims is somewhere around 2% or 3%, it's unlikely she's not telling the truth.

Either way, it's odd that they had an alleged victim pen the story. Why didn't they assign it to someone else? Was no one else willing to put their byline on it?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Seems likely she pushed to do it.

6. YankeeFan

Sure. Of course she did.

But, why didn't Ezra assign it to someone else?

I mean, fuck, NBC thought Ronan Farrow was "too close" to the Harvey Weinstein story, because Woody Allen is an abuser.

This story wasn't some first person essay. It was a reported story. Someone else should have written it.

Why didn't they?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He said it and you can be befuddled forever as to why the rest of the world isn’t as impressed with your fedora-tipping word games as you feel they should be.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You keep making these points that assume some measure of good faith by Trump, that he believed there were people at that rally who were only interested in preserving heritage and history of the south.

That entire inference is bogus. The rally was organized by Jason Kessler, who's actually such a big piece of racist filth, Richard Spencer disovowed him. The original tiki torch bearers were chanting "blood and soil." Those are white supremacists, and yes, Trump said there were fine people among them. That a bunch of popped collar frat boys tried to walk back their attendance there, and claim it was about heritage, does not make it so. The people who were there knew exactly why they were there. Kessler brought them together.

You want to make the claim that Trump didn't know he was defending white supremacists when he made those comments, ok.

But he was defending them by implying some of them were fine people. Fine people don't chant blood and soil.

9. Dick Whitman

I am absolutely not the one making assumptions about Trump. I'm the one who is not doing so. I don't know what he believed. I know what he said, though. He was almost certainly wrong that there were "very fine people" at the rally. But he didn't "defend white supremacists." He defended hypothetical people who were there only to protest the removal of a statue.

This is an explanation of why Trump was wrong, not an explanation as to why it is correct to say that he "defended white supremacists."

You are responding to an imaginary post.

He didn't say that.

Agreed.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

I would be the editor you guys motherfucked at the bar every night after work.

But your asses would all have Pulitzers.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Jesus.

poindexter likes this.
  12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The people in Charlottesville were white supremacists.

Donald Trump defended those people, whether on purpose or accident, saying there were fine people on both sides.

Both of these things are true.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.