1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is no fucking way that Glenn Thrush was intending to imply that Trump accidentally defended white supremacists. He knew exactly what he was attempting to convey.

But it's OK because we don't like Trump. We don't like Sepp Blatter, either.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think folks have to realize how these events are marketed.

Yes, I'm sure they are heavily marketed to white supremacists and neo-Nazis.

But, the group organizers often have very bland names, and misrepresent who they are, and what they are gathering for.

Richard Spencer's group is called the National Policy Institute. It's not any kind of give away as to what it is, or supports.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing, but Lauren Williams's husband is an old friend of mine.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I know what Trump said and I absolutely don't need you to offer the Trump-to-civilized human discourse translation, and it's foolish to say you know what anyone "believes" because you don't.

Which "side" were they on? That's all that matters.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Semantic nonsense aside, it really is still astounding that the president of the United States felt the biggest takeaway from that whole mess was that some hypothetical non-Nazis showed up at a Nazi rally and needed their good names defended.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are getting led far afield. Don't let them do it.

Trump explicitly defended people at the rally who were not white supremacists.

That was his entire point.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The fucking mental gymnastics that YF and Dick are exhibiting would earn gold medal scores, even from the Russian judges.

Check that, especially from the Russian judges.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

1. Where is the proof of this? Please provide some.

2. Why should I believe people saying, after the fact, they were only there for the statues, man, and not the blood and soil and it was just a coincidence they also had tiki torches and matching kaki pants.

3. Like, seriously?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you sure her name isn't just really similar to name of your friend's wife?

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is absolutely no evidence that any significant number of people showed up at the rally not knowing what it was. It was absolutely marketed at neo-nazis.

Double Down likes this.
  11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No, he posted about it on Facebook when she got the job.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It isn't astounding at all. He was conjuring up a false equivalency to avoid condemning the racists who like him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.