1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He wouldn't defend white supremacists either.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, he defended the people who were simply on the "side" of white supremacists. What is the difference one might ask?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The rally was ostensibly a rally to protest the removal of Confederate statues.

Such a rally would be likely to draw white supremacists, indeed.

Therefore, people who are not white supremacists could end up being on the "side" of white supremacists, and one could independently "defend" those people without simultaneously defending white supremacists.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Link? Although even if there is one, it will be spin from after he got his tit in a wringer for saying it. How do you know what Trump was thinking when he said this? We know what he said, but his thought processes at the time are a bit difficult to document.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  5. cranberry

Nope. It was a white supremacist demonstration and people knew full well that it was. And as with almost all such demonstrations, there were counter-demonstrators. Hence, "both sides." The suggestion that Trump was really talking about innocent Billy Bob, who was just showing because he's a fucking Jefferson Davis fan or because he wanted to watch his buddy Bubba kick some liberal ass, is absurd. He was without doubt conjuring up a false equivalency that would allow him to avoid condemning his loyal racist voters.

6. Dick Whitman

I don't know what he was "really talking about."

I know what he said, though.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You honestly have not done enough reading or research on how this rally came to be. Like, zero, it seems. Please do some. You'll be horrified. At the very least, watch the Vice documentary about it.

Presidents are historically careful with their words for a reason.

8. Dick Whitman

It's unfortunate Glenn Thrush wasn't around throughout history to translate things for the unwashed masses.

Nixon: 'I am a crook'

By Glenn Thrush
    New York Times

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So, anyway, back to sexual assault and harassment ...

10. Dick Whitman

I've watched the Vice documentary.

It is completely irrelevant to my point.

11. Dick Whitman

Kennedy: 'Ask what your country can do for you'

By Glenn Thrush
    New York Times

12. cranberry

He said "both" sides and he was right there were two sides. They clashed violently. I know there was one side protesting against the racists and white supremacists. Oddly he didn't mention a third group of potentially innocent bystanders who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. So who was on the other side to which he was referring?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.