1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That's pretty much it. Reading the signs isn't all that difficult, but I think most of us have been wrong at judging the timing or degree of interest at some point. In the old days, the very worst that meant was a frosty silence and a "Take me home, please", possibly followed by her talking shit about you to her girlfriends the next day.

In a world where an unwanted kiss can be construed as sexual assault, being a little more careful is warranted. Besides, you might even get a gold star for being woke enough to see that a kiss opportunity was there and still making certain that there was overt consent before going for it.

Like I said, I'm glad I'm married and not out in the dating world.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There are a few of them who are most certainly not pleased with me, but for reasons completely unrelated to the topic at hand.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Rose isn't a journalist. He was a starfucker who wanted to be friends with all the DC and Hollywood types he interviewed and wanted everybody else to think he was just as smart and important as his guests were. His actions seem so out of place because he ran his own operation and sold the show to PBS. As the boss, he could have employees over to his home to work and it wasn't unusual.

One thing I noticed was the article described an event that took place at "one of his New York City homes." Along with other details (waterfront estate, private planes), it seemed like the writers were going out their way to make a point of his wealth and lifestyle.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The woman in the lede of Farrow’s latest story is the woman previously described here thusly:

Whether it's coincidental or not. ... She's a bit like the Zelig of beautiful aspiring actress / models who are surprised when powerful men 3 times her age take an interest in her and show their stripes when she goes to meet them.

5. YankeeFan

Then the FBI and DOJ aren’t being honest with Congress.

6. Neutral Corner

I think that it is entirely understandable that the FBI might have trouble identifying and interviewing hookers in Russia who worked for the KGB or FSB, and that assumes that they used hookers and not actual FSB agents working as swallows. The same goes for interrogating the staff of the hotel. That is a near impossibility in the real world.

That leaves the possibility of a tape, and no matter how authentic it is there will be cries of "Fake". Special effects technology is such that things that didn't happen can be made to look quite real, and if a portion of the public is unwilling to trust a video expert's testimony as to authenticity there is no answer to that. Add in the reports that there are lots of faked peepee tapes being pushed out, both plausible looking and obviously faked, and I doubt that the truth could ever be proven completely.

None of which is proof that it didn't happen (or did), but it is the reality of making the attempt.

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

My criticism or the criticism in the article?

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

thank you, then it is not my imagination that dw reads only half of my posts.

9. YankeeFan

Read the quote again —or read the article. It’s not just the pee-pee tape that they’ve been unable to substantiate.

10. Neutral Corner

Not being able to confirm or deny the Dossier does not mean that they don't have a tape or that they are withholding access to one. It said that they cannot prove with certainty the facts are true, or that the tape they might have is genuine with absolute certainty. It also does not mean that 70% of the Dossier is inaccurate even if parts of it are incorrect.

This is the nature of intelligence work... puzzle pieces, incomplete plans, conjecture, looking for verification from other unconnected sources and sometimes not getting it until years later. Intelligence analysts are grinds, documenting thousands of small bits of information. Sometimes they have very true intelligence but are unable to confirm it, or the reliability of the source is low, and true or not it cannot be verified.

11. YankeeFan

OK. Seems to me the FBI & DOJ response to Congress speaks for itself.

12. Neutral Corner

That's fine. Our opinion of it means squat anyhow.

It's what Mueller puts before the Grand Jury that matters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.