1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I’m glad we have these debates. We learn what people really think.

2. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

While I’m not necessarily opposed to net neutrality (and am, in fact, more inclined to support it), I don’t see how anyone can be so certain that this will be the downfall of the Internet. This regulation (which arguably exceeded the FCC’s authority to begin with) didn’t even exist until a few years ago, and other regulators will still have authority to police anti-competitive behavior. Why is everyone so certain doom is certain? There’s all sorts of wired and wireless competitors—if consumers care about neutrality that much, maybe there will be marketplace options that will offer it. Was this really a big issue before the regs were enacted?

doctorquant likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh goodness, @YankeeFan, check your inbox for talking points on this one.

A Split From Trump Indicates That Flynn Is Moving to Cooperate With Mueller

WASHINGTON — Lawyers for Michael T. Flynn, President Trump’s former national security adviser, notified the president’s legal team in recent days that they could no longer discuss the special counsel’s investigation, according to four people involved in the case, an indication that Mr. Flynn is cooperating with prosecutors or negotiating such a deal.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yet, as usual, we have heard no credible reasoning on the topic from you.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is beyond obvious that the Internet, created through government funding in large part, is a public utility that should be regulated and regulated strictly due to its importance in daily life. Net neutrality polls at like 75 percent approval. The ISPs better watch out, or they could find themselves with a Democratic President who ran on a promise to nationalize them. It's not like Verizon, Comcast, et. al. are popular.

BadgerBeer and cranberry like this.
  6. lcjjdnh

Maybe if net neutrality is really so popular than ISPs will, you know, just offer it, because they’re generally in the business of trying to get consumers to purchase their services and there’s plenty of competitors out there. Or maybe not. But I just do not understand how so many people with no economic training whatsoever are oh so sure this will be the end of the Internet. The idea this is a simple issue, or one with only one good side, is preposterous.

And I think consumers are the ones who should be very worried about the government nationalizing the industry.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Have you ever dealt with Verizon or Comcast? They've lobbied against net neutrality for over a decade. They want to be part of a rent-extracting oligopoly under government protection from state and local governments, let alone consumers. They will overreach, because that's what corporations do these days, and the reaction is liable to be severe. I don't think nationalization would be any kind of cure all, but these companies are loathed and attacking them will be politically popular.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Really, that is just bullshit, propaganda bullshit from corporate whore lobbyists.
    Internet providers charge for access based on speed . Slow internet is expensive, moderate internet is really expensive, decent speed is very costly. Speed is costly. The real deal is that companies slow it down to charge more for what should be normal speed. They made you rent equipment that could be purchased cheaply. Want to access Netflix or Amazon on your internet connection, that’ll be an additional $15 a month for streaming

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LOL ... right.

10. lcjjdnh

They existed in a word without government-regulated net neutrality until very recently and this parade of horribles didn’t occur. And it’s arguably even less likely to occur now than it was back then because of the extent of additional competitors—even setting aside wired competitors, wireless gets better and better all the time.

Would you really rather deal with a government-run ISP than Verizon? I sure wouldn’t.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The net neutrality farce

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Bob Mueller at the top of my "things to be thankful for" list.

tapintoamerica and HanSenSE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.