1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm worried this Time thing is gonna cost Trump a scholarship.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  2. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

Do I think there are people naive and stupid enough to think that a vote for, say, Roy Moore is a vote for God's candidate, especially since the godless liberals are trying to smear his name, sure? But I think it's just as naive and stupid to think that conservatives who don't admonish themselves daily are essentially pro-molesters, klan, etc. by default. I'm not saying that's what you're necessarily arguing, but if the implication is that the frequent conservative posters here fall into any of those camps I would disagree.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He works at golf just as hard as the other presidents did.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This fuckin' guy:

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

*shrug*. This stuff runs deeper than we want to admit to ourselves.

The idea that it is perfectly appropriate for adult men to court young teenage women for their “purity” is out there and it is not wildly uncommon in some circles. It doesn’t strike me at all as unlikely that we have at least one or two on here.

As for the broad brush? Meh, there is a real problem in this country and society whereby previously powerful groups are being forced by circumstances and social convention to accept less power and the backlash is significant and causes real damage to real people’s lives. It has also completely co-opted conservatism to the degree that actual conservatism almost doesn’t exist in politics. Some people are out marching with torches chanting “blood and soil,” some are telling jokes about what NFL stands for when they think they’re in safe company, some are just very concerned about false accusations of sexual misconduct. Their support is a matter of degree, I guess.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

How tough is it to start off at the top "Hey everyone, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. Today's show was taped Wednesday - hopefully our opinions and discussion won't be too out of sync with what happens over the next 48 hours"

Embarrassing.

8. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I don't dispute any of this. I live in a small, predominantly conservative community. I think all of this issues pale in comparison to the abortion argument, which I know is a whole other can of worms, which has become such a default conservatives against/liberals for thing that it's OK to rationalize shortcomings or to pretend egregious offenses are just blown out of proportion if not outright fabricated by the other side. I'm not excusing the inexcusable behavior by this administration, I just think painting all conservatives as Nazis by association is the worst possible way to make inroads on what might be blind allegiances. I know how I feel when I have a nuanced argument rebutted with "Snowflake!" so I can only imagine what it must feel like to hold certain beliefs and have someone say "Well, you're too stupid to fully understand this, but you basically support child molestation."

9. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I agree with you on much of this but knowing what we know now, I would say most anyone that voted for him next time could be painted with that broad brush.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The moment they elected Donald Trump, making inroads was no longer a meaningful option. Either we outnumber them or we don’t.

They already shot the hostage

TowelWaver and cranberry like this.
  11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Encouraging his idiots to disregard the first amendment.
    Filling the courts with right wing, anti civil rights "judges".

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Best response would have been to HELP the Russians, as they were fighting the mujahideen at the request of the Afghan government.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.