1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That's true, too. I think it is easier to get into "harder" debates online, because they're longer running and people generally don't like to be uncomfortable in their in-person relationships. Also, strangers are easier to debate because you're not so worried about hurt feelings the way you might be with, say, other parents in the schoolyard. But I have thought many times (sometimes when I'm in the conversation, and sometimes when I'm just an observer) that I'm taking part in something that would result in punches in the flesh. You could make the argument that we're coarsening the discourse here. You could also make the argument that we're getting closer to the heart of things.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"Name the worst team in the NFL. But you can't say the Browns."

Big Circus likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I operate on the assumption that virtually none of what gets discussed here would actually get discussed in the flesh, which is why that everyone participating here is so glad for this place. Even at its worst, this place is a good pressure-relief valve.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Eh. At least you haven't been called a fucking traitor.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. typefitter

6. typefitter

Yep. That's been my evolving view regarding online communication in general. I used to have a real problem with how people talked with each other online, because it was so far afield from "normal" conversation. I still think it can be damaging in its extremes. But I also see the value of conversation that isn't always bound by politeness and convention.

TowelWaver likes this.
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Bingo. I never discuss politics with friends, nor would I entertain the discussion of someone's sexual activity. The former I am comfortable yelling about here. The latter, still no-go.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

9. typefitter

I'm speculating, of course, but I imagine Mueller used the threat of prosecution against Flynn's son to flip Flynn. So to continue your theme: A man is always going to side with his family.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I think this has contributed to --as have many, many things--trump winning. He speaks publicly the way so many people speak to each other online. People have been desensitized to the rudeness so he was not as shocking to them as he may have been in the past.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I hit four out of five on a fire bet at Sam's Town there a few years ago. Those beers at the Blind Tiger went down realllllll easy.

LongTimeListener and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. typefitter

I think that's probably right. And a lot of his shocking stuff is delivered via Twitter, where it's kind of expected. If he said in a press conference some of the stuff he's tweeted, it would feel very different, I would guess.

What's interesting is that maybe ten years ago, I would have said that the coarsening of online discourse would lead to people behaving with fewer governors in real life. But I don't think that's the case, or at least I haven't witnessed much of it. I think that's because in real life people still shy away from direct confrontation. They also still fear chirping the wrong person at the wrong time and getting punched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.