1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Disgusting tactics, but no one ever accused these people of playing a fair game.
    I think most reporters have a sense for when someone is bullshitting them.
    Only we never really dealt with people paid to do so.

BadgerBeer and HanSenSE like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I’m trying to imagine a scenario where someone could call me an Uncle Tom and I would be offended, or think it was racist

Stupid maybe, but racist?

Give me an example.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is "Uncle Tom" ever "racist"?

It's what black people call other black people who they believe sell out to white people.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read a story in the New Yorker about the Trump-friendly "press" gaining access to the WH Press room. This excerpt about the Gateway Pundit founder preparing for the org's first presser. Despite BS being their business, they can't even differentiate between fake and real news.

"Hoft, sitting at an antique wooden desk before an open laptop, read from the statement that Trudeau had delivered after Fidel Castro’s death: “ ‘The Cuban people had a deep and lasting affection for El Comandante.’ Is this a f--king joke?” Then, on his computer, he clicked on a headline: “Trump Claims America Should Never Have Given Canada Its Independence.” The post, on a site called the Burrard Street Journal, purported to quote a Trump tweet that included the hashtag #MakeCanadaAmericanAgain. “Is this real?” Hoft said. “I follow the news. I feel like I would have heard about this.” It seemed obvious that the Burrard Street Journal—whose logo is “BS Journal,” and whose other top headlines included “Alex Jones Selected to Host White House Correspondents’ Dinner”—was a news-satire site. But Hoft spent several minutes vacillating. He Googled “Make Canada American Again” and saw that no mainstream papers—the kind that he and the President had taken to calling “fake news”—had picked up the story. “It must be bullshit,” he said. “God, I hate bullshit sites.”

melock and lakefront like this.
  5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You made a gay joke. I'm not gay and don't care if anyone thinks I am. I still found it lousy, because I'm not a pile of shit pressed into vaguely human form.

melock likes this.
  6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I have a friend from college in the White House press corps.
    He follows this dissolute around like a dog - the dog that gets whacked by the owner that doesn't like him and yet the dog continues to follow him.
    And the guy happily Facebooks about all the adventures to China and wherever else, literally in the rear of this crime syndicate.
    I find that life way sadder than not being around your family because of a college football season.

Double Down likes this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I was scratching my head over that one, too.

8. Dick Whitman

@Inky_Wretch is a good dude. I think it was just his, "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" moment.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Would Whitey McWhiterson, who derogatorily calls another honkie Uncle Tom, do so at an event honoring black war veterans?

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It's pretty comical that anyone tries to defend Trump as NOT being racist.

Trump is a racist. We knew this before today. He continues to be a racist.

"Many sides."
    "Pocahontas"
    "There's my African-American"

And it's quite clear he goes after his critics who are people of color on Twitter. Brown people. Black people (especially athletes).

White critics like Steve Kerr, Pop, Eminem? Nothing.

This is no coincidence.

Trump is 100 percent a racist. He was before he was elected. He is now.

There's no defense, it just has to be accepted by those who voted for him.

bigpern23, Sea Bass and Iron_chet like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

I cannot even fathom under what circumstances he would call the other honky that, though.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. No one would mistake you for gay. That’s for sure.

You’re probably the most heterosexual guy on the site.

Nobody who enjoys discussing sex, intimacy, male grooming, or the appearance of a woman’s vagina as much as you do could be mistaken as gay.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.