1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

The comments are always great though.
    I assume most don't bother to read them.
    It is very telling to see just how little the trumps understand about these things.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As far as that goes, though, it can be good prep for debating people on this site.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure. I get that.

The fact that the slavery question might be a more difficult one, or not a perfect analogy, doesn’t make it an unworthy thought experiment though.

That it is more difficult is what makes it interesting.

So, why will no one answer it? Saying you’d vote for the personally and morally repugnant abolitionist over a pro-slavery candidate doesn’t mean you favor Roy Moore, or give any Roy Moore voter cover.

It’s simply designed to make people question their own limits.

Edit:you edited your reply while I was replying to it.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Notice YF isn't making any argument to support the write-in candidate. His only virtue, the only one that matters to YF, is that he is a Republican. Voting for him does not offer any guarantee that it will keep Moore from winning. It just undermines the Democrat, which is all YF really cares about.

The truth is YF is desperately flailing about, hoping he can find some solid moral ground to stand on when he knows there isn't any. He said he would vote for Moore, with some bullshit about him never taking the seat. He did this to avoid the answer we already know. He will always support the Republican, no matter how repugnant that person may be.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

See the edit to my previous post.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. outofplace

Which comes back to Republicans doing the wrong thing out of party loyalty, no matter what ridiculous tactic you use to try to put this on Democrats.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes, because @YankeeFan is a Republican.

What makes that so outrageous?

I'm not even that far left, but there is virtually no hypothetical Republican I would vote for over a hypothetical Democrat, in practice.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The way you keep a child molester out of the Senate is by refusing to vote for him. The timing of the story left very few options, basically consisting of vote for Moore anyhow, don't vote, vote for Jones, or write someone in.

The basic problem was that the two R's who made the run-off were A. An Attorney General who obstructed justice in order to be appointed to the Senate and 2. A former State Supreme Court Judge who had twice been removed from office for refusing to follow legal precedent and the rulings of courts above his, to include the Supreme Court of the United States, and putting his religious beliefs above the law he was sworn to follow.

That was not, and is not, the Democrats fault. You break it, you buy it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. outofplace

Then you are almost as much of a partisan hack as YF.

He is trying to position this as some moral failing on the part of Democrats, which is just more of his trolling bullshit. That's what is so outrageous about the point YF is trying to make.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It’s not even a little hard for me to imagine Republicans I’d vote for over Democrats. If it’s a choice between some relatively clean old rich white Randian doofus and a literally mentally ill Democrat or a child molester Democrat, it’s not even hard.

I mean, I’m against losing net neutrality or their stupid tax plans, but I can still put that into perspective.

The problem is right now that the cancer of Trumpism has infected the Republican Party and the Randian doofuses are being shoved aside for fascists.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, Roy Moore is a piece of shit. But, the worst about him came out after the primary.

I’m not an Alabama voter. I just know that, especially given the way Dems are defending Franken and Conyers, many voters there will not be willing to hand a Senate seat in a solidly red state to a far left Democrat.

I bet they would vote for a guy like Busby —asssiming he’s not some sort of nut — if he had a chance to win. But, if voting for Busby means electing Jones, the a vote for Busby doesn’t accomplish much for voters who oppose Jones more than they oppose Moore.

If Dems really think that keeping a child molester out of the Senate is paramount, you’d think they’d try to find common ground with republicans to elect Busby.

But, they won’t. Which exposes all the rhetoric as empty.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Yes!
    But then I am sure the other issue might be "Jones will let them N's take over" Some think that is worse than abortion.

I have put my self in this situation. If trump was the clear cut (excuse the language)environmental candidate, would I have voted for him? Yes I would, but I would also have to be willing to admit that he is an asshole.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.