1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I hate this answer. Isn't the threat of Trumpism, which Moore very much represents, supposed to be bigger than D vs. R?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not racist, just dumb. "Racist" has become the new "unconstitutional" - a name for things we don't like.

lakefront and YankeeFan like this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sure. That could work. But, maybe not.

It's a very red state. Jones would be an imperfect representative of it.

Busby could be a compromise candidate that voters could agree upon.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No.

Until I see compelling evidence that shows otherwise, R = Trumpism.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

A dude who prosecuted firebombing Klansmen is definitely going to be a bad fit in Alabama.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So that one stance on one issue is it?

Also, too ... "I fully support a woman's freedom to choose to what happens to her own body," Jones said. "Having said that, the law for decades has been that late-term procedures are generally restricted except in the case of medical necessity. That's what I support. I don't see any changes in that."

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sure it is, and I'm generally good with nuance. I've just gotten impatient with YF flogging the idiotic proposition that Dem voters should split their vote because the Republicans are likely to. He knows damn well that if the shoe were on the other foot they would not do so, and would be gleeful about it.

Democrats in Alabama rarely get to see their views represented in the Congress. In this race, this once, circumstances are such that they have a chance to elect a Democrat. It is unrealistic in the extreme to expect them to give up a chance to cut into the Republican majority in the Senate, given the opportunity. ACA repeal, this regressive as hell tax plan? Nah. We'll vote Jones in, given half a chance.

YF's entire line here is utter nonsense.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, you asked me what my story would include, so I answered. And I didn't think the Twitter shot was a fair shot. It was pretty strongly suggesting that Rather was a purveyor in fake news. That might be the perception, but it's a misperception, and it's dismissing a decades-long career in a few characters. I get that's what Twitter is, and I get that my reply smacks of "someone's wrong on the Internet," but it struck me as facile and incomplete (yeah, yeah, otherwise known as "Twitter") and I was offering up the more complete version of events.

I believe in small fixes. Maybe someone here read that story and now holds a slightly different view of Rather and his work. That's all.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump rage tweets about "Chuck and Nancy," so they've canceled today's planned meeting with him.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The paramount thing is keeping someone who believes this country is only for Christians -- witness the alleged defender of religious liberty's belief that Muslims shouldn't serve in Congress-- out of the Senate. Keeping out of the Senate someone who refused to respect the rule of law is also top priority. The more recent revelations of his hypocrisy merely add to the reasons he should be rejected. They'd be sufficient on their own, but as horrible as they may be, they are not the foundation of the need to keep him out.

lakefront likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Jeff Sessions was a good fit.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

He is such a fucking idiot. The president, almost by definition, has to practice self-restraint, and he has zero self-restraint. Someone really needs to take Twitter away from him, the way you stop a baby from throwing things by not giving them anything to throw.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.