1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

False. He believes in current law, which regulates late-term abortion. Al.com story 11/2

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

And my only point was that if your screw up is significant enough, it taints that whole career. That's what a fireable offense is. Ask Al Campanis or Richard Nixon or Bill Buckner or Hillary Clinton. Especially if it reflects a broader hole in your game, which IMO it did for Rather. Everyone knows about Rather's career. You shouldn't need to cite a complete resume to poke fun at his mistake.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wrong.

He's in favor of current laws, in which late-term abortion can be allowed in cases of the woman's life and/or health being in danger.

Fact check: Doug Jones does not support 'full term' abortions

Stunning that you decide to misrepresent his position. Absolutely stunning.

EDIT: Tap beat me to it.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Since the Republicans hold every other elective office at the National level, I don't think they are hurting for representation.

If anything, Jone would be the only representative for the Democrats of Alabama, or are they entitled to none at all? Particularly if they can get one elected, whatever the circumstances?

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I agree that we sometimes define people by a single episode, good or bad, in their life. I don't think that's always fair (I mean, if you murder a bunch of people, that should probably be what defines you), and I think it's a way to put people into boxes, because we like easy answers.

To that point, Rather wasn't fired. I thought he was, too. He was marginalized to the point where he resigned, and you could argue that's the same thing, but he wasn't fired.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given Jones is OK with the current laws restricting late-term abortions to cases where the mother's life is in jeopardy, I'm sure YF will come back and say that Jones is the better choice than Moore in this election.

7. Guy_Incognito

OK, I'm not sure exactly what we're arguing about. He wasn't fired; that's on CBS. I consider a fireable offense and again, unlike Buckner but more like Nixon, it's more that he got caught doing what he often did - letting his politics drive his journalism. That is more than a one-time gaffe.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. typefitter

I get why it happens—I fall into it, too—but it's hilarious to me that @YankeeFan is the only one making arguments on one side, and literally everybody else here is on the other side, and it still feels like a debate. It's like how 99 percent of scientists think climate change is real, and there's one lunatic paid for by the oil industry who's like, "Well I'm not so sure," and suddenly there's a "climate change debate." No there isn't. There's one fucking idiot on an island. That's not a debate. That just means some people are irredeemably obtuse.

10. typefitter

We're not arguing, I don't think. You asked me why I posted that story in response to the tweet. I'm trying to give you a good answer. It's all good.

11. Guy_Incognito

With his mansion & Maserati, I would think that would work for him.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was extremely pleasant here last week. Virtually no piss matching at all.

I wonder what was different?

SnarkShark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.