1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

LOL

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I hope hell is just you two having to interact with each other for eternity.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is going to go down just like the general election.

Democrats said that Trump was a unique threat to our union, far outside the normal Republican/Democrat divide.

And, many Republicans agreed, voting for candidates like Gary Johnson and Egg McMuffin. Folks like @Guy Incognito and @doctorquant even voted for Hillary Clinton.

But, did a single Dem think to themselves, “hey, we also nominated a terrible candidate, who is unlikely to sway enough votes from Donald Trump to make us feel confident that we can keep him out of the Oval Office. Maybe we should would with like minded folks across the aisle and support a compromise candidate we can all live with. Surely that would be better than to ever risk letting Donald Trump win.”?

Of course they didn’t. Now, maybe it’s because everyone assumed Clinton would win. Or maby it’s just a compromise they’re unwilling to make.

In hindsight, wouldn’t folks have preferred to have elected someone like John Kasich, or Mitt Romney, or some seriously bland moderate like George Pataki?

If the problem is as big as folks say it is, it seems absurd to me to say that it’s solely up to Republicans to fix the problem.

Working together, a Moore win could be averted, just as a Trump win could have been.

But Dems would rather roll the dice, and take a chance of electing Moore than work on finding an acceptable compromise.

That’s fine. But then don’t pretend you’re truly concerned about electing Moore, and don’t be surprised when he wins.

Songbird likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

YankeeFan's compromise involves Democrats electing all Republicans.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There was a moment during the general lead-up where she went up by about 10 points and I posed the question here: Would you accept a Mitt Romney presidency right now to avoid the possibility of an unlikely, though still possible, Trump victory?

I can’t recall what the responses were.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, well, well, look who just decided to put on his gasoline suit and take a seat at Hell Table!

Donny in his element and Hermes like this.
  8. YankeeFan

If your argument is that we have to do anything to avoid electing Hitler, I would hope “anything” would include voting for Mitt Romney. If it doesn’t, then you either don’t believe Trump is Hitler, or you’re not willing to do anything to stop him.

9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Do you know how often write-in candidates win major elections? The first one that comes to mind, off the top of my head, is Strom Thurmond, who won sometime in the 50s (1954, maybe?) when the incumbent died. It happens, but it's a strong statistical long shot.

In this instance, the Democrats have nominated a perfectly good and respectable candidate for the US Senate in Doug Jones. The Republicans countered with a child molester. So, you want Democrats not to vote for their good candidate, and instead write-in a Republican with next to zero chance of winning, thus ensuring a victory for Moore. And if Democrats don't do that, it's their fault that Moore gets a seat in the Senate, even though Republicans nominated him and will vote for him.

Right. And I'm supposed to believe that you're both smart and not a troll. Well isn't that a fucking pickle.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Go to my Vol deplorables message board. You'll be the one on an island. Doesn't mean you won't make good points.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

You might want to look at the current configuration of the Senate.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I thought for sure YF was trying to draw us into a trap which closed with statements from Democrats when they had the majority in the early years of the Obama presidency asking GOPers to capitulate during the healthcare debate.

I'm disappointed. Don't Cry Hitler in a Theater isn't as fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.