1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YF’s suggestion is interesting on paper and I think more people would consider it than he thinks - if they thought it would work.

But in the 3D world, you run into the classic collective action problem. No one is going out on that limb because they don’t think others will, either. Every one of these “game the process by getting people to do something against their instincts” seems to fail.

QYFW likes this.
  2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

If we say his binder wasn't creepy, will you guys come down out of the tree?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Exactly. Get such a candidate on the ballot and I'm wide open to a grand compromise. But until they're there and credible to win, I don't trust the party of "Well why don't you nominate someone like Merrick Garland, then we'd stop obstructing?"

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

@YankeeFan is playing the role of @oldtony today. He really thinks he's got himself a gotcha moment with this ridiculous spin.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe I misunderstood ... I was strictly addressing the abortion/climate change quinella ...

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I applaud your conviction. You are truly dedicated to this dishonest loser of an idea.

There was no viable option in the presidential election. There was no compromise candidate who had a better chance to defeat Trump. Your argument is completely unrealistic. Also, there was no reason to believe Clinton couldn't win. Most of the evidence you are relying upon there is hindsight.

There is even less evidence that Busby would win now. Your entire premise is built on bullshit that even you aren't stupid enough to believe. Your party is supporting a child molester. Republicans may vote the child molester into the senate. President Trump is supporting a vote making a child molester a senator. Your side is wrong here. Be honest enough to own it.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Oh, right. No, I was talking about the "Democrats should write-in Busby" argument, which, as far as I can see, is an argument being made by one person.

Although I'm strongly pro-choice, I actually understand and have empathy for both sides of the abortion debate and believe that good people can disagree there. I don't feel that way about climate change.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don’t believe in negotiating with terrorists.

jr/shotglass and typefitter like this.
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

That is very strong.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I said I'd accept a Romney presidency. I'd have even considered Romney winning in 2012 and 16 of it meant no Trump.

So of us can put partisanship aside for the good of country, and some of us pretend we could but are actually more excited by "Will this trigger elitist libs? Then I'm in."

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There were a lot of people who just didn't believe there was any way she could lose to Trump. But I've never seen an election where so many news stories swung polls, all the way through to the end with Comey's press release. It was unnerving, even when she held commanding leads.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Says the board's leading defender of placating Iran.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.