1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Lauer and his wife don't even live together. She filed for divorce years ago. I think they're technically still married but it's essentially a business arrangement.

FWIW... it's been a joke/observation in New York news circles for years that Natalie Morales has a son that looks a hell of a lot like Lauer.

Hokie_pokie and sgreenwell like this.
  2. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I obviously don't read People enough.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Matt Lauer Interview - Matt Lauer Today Show Quotes

So many times my son and I will be watching a baseball game together and a popular player hits a home run, and as he's running around the bases, my son, without hesitation, will look up at me and ask, "You think he's on steroids?" Heroes have been broken before his eyes so many times, and that's disheartening.

Double Down likes this.
  4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I wonder if his son watched all these cases coming out and thought, "Did Dad do this?"

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, he's just Gary Trent, Jr.'s dad now to everyone under the age of 30, making us all feel really, really old.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The smoking gun ... [/bluefont]

[​IMG]

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hmm... From 2016.

https://pagesix.com/2016/07/12/lauer-morales-affair-rumors-rock-today/

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This question is uncomfortable in my head, because it can come off like victim-blaming if framed inelegantly, though I don’t intend it to be: Is the atmosphere at these networks and other work places - FOX, NBC, CBS, Congress - under fire recently as highly sexualized as it is starting to seem? I was history’s most awkward dater, so maybe that’s where the cognitive dissonance comes in, but it’s difficult for me to even fathom in my past (or current, though it’s tiny) workplaces moving the conversation to the place where you think, “Time to go for this, whether she likes it or not.” I traveled to Alabama with a pretty young co-worker for an overnight trip and it was never even uncomfortable. And we got drunk. (She was also my superior.) On the MLB and college football beats, the women were one of the guys.

Maybe I just hang out with decent people. But I couldn’t imagine an atmosphere conducive to this stuff. Work is ... work, not a buffet.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Still...only the beginning.

The top-of-the-business men who don't get dumped will only do so by the grace of the women who don't turn them in.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Years ago I worked with two early 20s women who were vying for an assignment to the Paris bureau – the move to stardom at this company. So, the married VP on our floor conducted a bake-off where the path to the overseas posting went through his bed. The winner eventually went on to be a superstar columnist with the most storied newspaper of them all. The loser left the company and has had an ordinary, low profile career. The VP shortly after was divorced and is CEO of a major media company and also sits on the boards of several equity funds.

Draft saved Draft deleted