1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Yes. Although I don't think it excuses your health-care system.

Regarding the driving—is it just a numbers question in America? Like, more people drive, and drive more, and so more people die driving in the US than in other countries? Or is there something that American drivers do worse than other drivers?

Genuinely curious. Not snark or whatever. I don't know if Americans do die on the road at a higher rate than other countries. I'm going by you here. But if they don't, then it kind of goes against your original point.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think that's pretty generational and by time we get to that point, most of those people will have aged out of driving anyway.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. typefitter

I hear there's an opening in landline sales.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes (as I understand it) to the first question(s). Don’t know about the second.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"Overwhelmed by modernity and late stage capitalism's wheezing final years? Would you like to be unreachable for 14 hours a day? Disconnected from the President's latest tweet? I think I can help you."

7. typefitter

I was looking at a Dodge Hellcat the other day, which is my idea of a beautiful machine, but I was given pause by two things:

1) As a 44-year-old man with a gut and 1,000-yard stare, do I look like a midlife crisis on wheels?

2) It puts out 11 tons of CO2 every 15,000 miles.

The first point, I can rationalize, or escape with tinted windows. The second point—that's hard to justify from a societal point of view. If I believe in gun control, because it's dumb to do obviously damaging things, and if I believe we have to do something about climate change, then I can't really make that leap, and I suspect the government, in Canada at least, won't allow me to make that leap for much longer.

I'm trying out a Honda Fit tomorrow.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I drive to run errands, but I also drive for pleasure. Dropping the top on my Miata and running a curvy road busts my stress as well or better than anything else in my life. I'm going to drive myself. I can live with a driverless car as long as I have another option, but I want the ability to feel a shifter knob in my hand, to wind out the engine, to hear the exhaust burble. I don't ride motorcycles, but it's much the same mindset.

If that means I'm old, I'm ok with it.

HC and Donny in his element like this.
  9. typefitter

If it's just the former, I don't see much you can do about it. Unless you get people to drive less.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Did you drive it? I took one for a spin when they first came out. My gawd it was awesome.

But I quickly realized I would be much safer - and less likely to get a ticket - driving my 6-cylinder TJ.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I got a red Challenger as a rental last month. My wife asked me if I had returned my mid-life crisis to the airport the following Monday.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Kids today don't just go driving around aimlessly? No, "hey what's down this road" trips?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.