1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

So I'll get to work during the only peaceful two hours of my day.

Yay.

MisterCreosote and Dick Whitman like this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Only in America is this the happy happy, joy joy.

BTExpress likes this.
  3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm giving up my daily two hours of podcasts over my cold, dead body.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am an airline guy but would rather do a road trip, flying sucks so hard.

We are looking at going from Alberta to the West coast of Vancouver Island this Summer.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Apparently, more sj.com time for many.

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Flip side is...our infrastructure is already woefully inadequate given current levels of traffic. Removing the need to pilot a vehicle will also remove the only significant disincentive that currently shifts travelers onto trains/busses/etc instead of the roadways. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Trump is going to get my brother Richie to handle this.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That is literally the only time I ever get to myself. Ever.

They can pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Hermes likes this.
  9. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstand my point, or maybe I would have been better off framing it as every American shaving an hour off their work day. People who currently spend 8 hours at the office and 1 hours driving back and forth would now be able to spend 7 hours at the office and 1 hour driving back and forth, because they'd be working during that 1 hour. Or, if boss man insists on 8 hours at the office, they'd be spending that hour in the car paying bills, or setting up doctors' appointments, or online shopping, or watching Stranger Things, or doing other things they'd normally do at home, thus giving them an extra hour at home to use wherever.

Point is, that hour in the car is currently dead time, with zero utility. I've thought a lot about this during my various commutes over the years. It's amazing how much shorter your day feels the longer your commute gets. I mean, length of commute might be the single greatest factor underlying most of our life decisions. To eliminate that would be revolutionary.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Didn't you say you went to a movie once?

MisterCreosote likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Automated vehicles face many technological problems, but their biggest one is the one seen here. Millions of Americans and millions more in other countries LIKE driving automobiles.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

There is also the bear in the room -- who controls the fucking things? What's to stop them from denying you travel to, oh, say, a liquor store? Or somewhere else they deem irresponsible? Maybe one day they will decide we shouldn't see certain things.

All in all, I hope I am dead before these Jetsonmobiles take over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.