1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

The way I envision it, automated vehicles will be little different from cruise control: except, now, once you turn it on, you don't have to worry about paying attention at all. I find it hard to believe even the most ardent of drivers gets any sort of thrill out of navigating a vehicle during rush hour. Even people who like to drive use cruise control, I'd assume. Now, you just get to take your hands off the wheel and devote your attention to something else.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

As long as they don't automate coal mining, we're safe.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I have never used cruise control. Ever. If I'm driving, I'm driving. If I'm not driving, I'm not in the driver's seat. It's how I feel about people wearing headphones when they run or using their phones as pedestrians I get why they're doing it, but turning off one of your five senses while out in public strikes me as needlessly courting danger.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

In Europe robot trucks for years have been draying shipping containers from dockside to storage yard and back. It's only politics, money and will to get it done here.
    Too late.

Mine of the Futureā„¢

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

One small point: A lot of the big retailers (Target, Best Buy, Walmart, etc.) are starting to use their stores as local distribution hubs for online delivery in an attempt to compete with Amazon. Some of those former stock boys and cashiers are now packing and shipping in the back room. Not that that can't be automated, but it's worth mentioning.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

8. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Push to increase minimum wage, well intended though it may be, will only accelerate this process. (Although perhaps that will in turn accelerate adoption of Universals Basic Income.)

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

How about jogging while pushing a baby carriage? I get the allure, but what if you trip on a curb and the carriage gets loose and sails into traffic?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The town I live in has a competition class track, a running trail of some miles length and a jogging/biking trail that runs the length of the town. Also sidewalks. People still run in the street because their sense of self-preservation is kinda dull.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This used to be the stuff of low rent talk radio hosts.

Surprised to see the Times doing this:

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

He assumes that since he has never seen it, it has never been shown on the news.

(the pushing off the roof)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.