1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is absolutely fair.

As a pseudo member of the golf media, I genuinely can say I don't think people knew about Tiger, nor was there any real impetus or suspicion to go digging for that dirt. He was really good at golf, nothing seemed to affect him much except the death of his father, he slipped in and out expensive hotel rooms on floors where you couldn't even get on without a special key. He lived in a gated community. The National Inquirer had the story because (and this is literally true, according to Vanity Fair) they had an undercover person follow him around spying on him until they saw him banging the Perkins waitress in the parking lot in the back of his Escalade, and she left a bloody tampon on the ground that they used as evidence when they confronted her. Seriously. And even then the Enquirer still didn't go with all of it until right before he hit the fire hydrant.

Is that the kind of sleuthing we want legit reporters engaging in? I don't think so. I'm not sure what public interest would have been served had the NYT or SI or ESPN unearthed Tiger's secret sex life first.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

MLB players literally talk about this stuff in the open to one another, in clubhouses, with the media around.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Confirmation of Tiger getting his red wings might be a bigger surprise than the Keillor news.

Hermes and Donny in his element like this.
  4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Name him?
    (corrected to add ?)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    heyabbott likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I never thought Lauer was as well versed in the topics as Gumbel or Couric. Even Gumbel never had an air that he was better than every story. I never got Lauer’s appeal as anything more than the main male on the today show. He wasn’t in the girl seat and he wasn’t the weather guy. I never saw any gravitas with him. He could connect with base demographic audience, home bound grown-ups with average education

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

His office was in a secluded space, and he had a button under his desk that allowed him to lock his door from the inside without getting up. This afforded him the assurance of privacy. It allowed him to welcome female employees and initiate inappropriate contact while knowing nobody could walk in on him, according to two women who were sexually harassed by Lauer.

A remote button to lock his office door?! Somewhere in Rockefeller Center there's a building guy who has a really creepy story about Lauer asking him to install this.

I Should Coco and sgreenwell like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Not your phone.

11. Dick Whitman

Ugh. Allege. Women who alleged they were sexually harassed by Lauer.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In September, Lauer asked Fox News star anchor Bill O’Reilly if he’d ever sent lewd text messages to colleagues. “Think about those … women and what they did,” Lauer said. “They came forward and filed complaints against the biggest star they at the network they worked at. Think about how intimidating that must have been. Doesn’t that tell you how strongly they felt about you?”

:D:D:D

Draft saved Draft deleted