1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How the hell does that even get approved? Do they just shrug because he's the $20m per year star and do it?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was leaning to the "I thought these were consensual relationships, but I misunderstood the boundaries, yada yada yada"

After reading the Variety piece, he's going to have to go the full Tiger-Woods-check-into-sex-clinic route.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

On Wednesday, NBC announced that Lauer was fired from “Today.” It was a stunning move for a co-host who was widely considered the crown jewel of the network’s news division

Lester Holt is the crown jewel of the network's news division. I don't care if he's widely considered such or not.

His office was in a secluded space, and he had a button under his desk that allowed him to lock his door from the inside without getting up.

I want this. Not because I'm a creepy predator. I'm just lazy.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

True or not, if I were Anne Curry I'd call up a friendly reporter and tell them (on background) one if the reasons you feel you were forced out is you tried to protect young women, especially interns, from Lauer and he hated it.

Then watch the fireworks, like a movie heroine smiling at an explosion that melts her enemies.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

"I'm sorry if my conduct offended anyone. "

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Chef2 likes this.
  8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No way NBC didn't know about this shit.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

When you're a star, the normal rules don't apply.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

“Several women told Variety they complained to executives at the network about Lauer’s behavior, which fell on deaf ears given the lucrative advertising” surrounding “Today.”

Andy Lack has some 'splain' to do.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not that it matters, but she's got a pinned tweet talking about a girl crush on Britney Spears.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think I've every locked my office door.

Draft saved Draft deleted