1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I don't watch the show, but from whats I gather here, Kelly has become what Rick Reiley was in the homestretch of his ESPN deal - they don't know what the heck to do with her.

sgreenwell likes this.
  2. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

You just grab them by the p*ssy and they let you do it.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Bristol didn’t know what to do with Reilly from day one. Great writer who should have stayed in his lane, but I suppose we all get bored with the status quo. And his status quo was being the best sportswriter in America year after year.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Man, the Rick Reilly experiment was one of the all time Bristol boners.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

From what I've gathered, she just isn't what they thought she was.

Give her a very regimented show -- read the prompter, look at that camera, ask these questions to this person -- she can do very well.

Give her something looser and more free form and she's screwed. She doesn't have the experience or the personality to pull that off.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Speaking of tone deaf...

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And isn't she getting a prime time show (per her contract) after SNF ends? This could go down as NBC's biggest bust since "Supertrain."

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Speaking of something/someone else that wouldn't surprise me one bit ...

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Reads like it might be pre-emptive, in fact.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

PCLL...

Not sure when you work but I do three hours a morning BEFORE 7 am. It's freaking hard. A young person's game.

Costas is one of the few with the chops to do it but, at a certain age, you value sleep.

Hoda is a great choice but I'd wonder if she even want that. NBC and CBS would be wise to have no regular male anchors for a while and get mix the eventual choices on a soft, low key launch.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Robotic is how I would describe Megyn Kelly. Off-script she is in trouble. In morning TV, you have to be relatable. She isn't.

sgreenwell likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Matt Lauer is just Bill O’Reilly with a better wardrobe

Draft saved Draft deleted