1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lauer, Rose, et al are smart enough to not literally call their accusers liars.

But these non specific admissions of bad behavior, while also denying the specific claims don’t impress me.

If you want to clear things up, then tell us specifically what did, and did not, happen.

Otherwise, it’s just an attempt to discredit the women who you victimized.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know a guy.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yet these stupid media outlets keep paying it. Why is that?

What is the cap on what people are worth?

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

Always the right answer!

Big Circus likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

For the one thousandth time, I don’t make coffee!

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Point taken ... but when you're losing your job over the accusation, you have to do something. And stepping away from the wrongness of their actions for a moment, if they tell us specifically what happened, aren't they just digging themselves a deeper grave?

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The show is built around Lauer. Its prestige and ratings advantage over GMA is worth $150 million to NBC.

It's not unreasonable to think that without Lauer, earns $100 million less a year.

So... is Lauer overpaid?

8. YankeeFan

I just don’t want to here thee saccharin apologies, that sound like they’re all coming out of the same writers’ room.

If you want to apologize for victimizing women, don’t attempt to discredit the women while doing it, which only further victimizes then.

To me, it renders the whole apology moot.

It’s a PR statement meant to begin the process of rebuilding the reputation and career of the person who issues it.

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

See, I don't think people watched because of Lauer. I mean, he was a good host. But people would watch anyway. It's a morning show, a show people just turn on to start their day, drink their coffee and check in to see what's going on -- kind of like people used to sit down with the newspaper. They'll do it, and leave it on for hours, no matter who's on it. Just like we always say people will read newspaper stories, usually without caring who writes them.

The Today Show will get somebody else, and be fine without Lauer. He's really not worth the trouble and certainly not worth the money.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I totally get what you're saying, YF. But if you're a person who's trying to keep their head above water when everything is crumbling around them, you still probably get to work on the process of rebuilding that reputation and career. I mean, you only have one life, even if you've screwed yourself (and others) in the first part of it.

I don't know ... this might be a meaningless, esoteric stance. I just see why they keep splashing in the water. It's that, or roll up in the fetal position and wait for the Grim Reaper.

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

NBC, if it can be proved that upper management knew about Lauer's actions before Monday night*, is going to be in a world of hurt when the lawsuits start flying, from the top down.

* Highly fucking likely.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What if he didn’t do what he’s accused of doing? He’s supposed to admit it, why? Because NBC is so mean to Donald Trump?

Draft saved Draft deleted