1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Further clarify, it doesn't just have be a situation that compromises an elected's position. Could be a political appointee or other.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I wonder about that all the time when I'm talking to them. I've had them tear up during interviews and I've been, like, Are those genuine?

Watch Amy Adams at the 2:00 mark in this video.

Now, I know we dismiss "celebrity journalism" as a bunch of bullshit, and not real journalism. It's fucking hard, because of exactly what you just said: You're writing about PROFESSIONAL ACTORS. They are really good at this shit.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Would you care if, say, he shoplifted a nice watch from the store?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think there's also a difference between what is news for US Weekly and what is news for the New York Times, and I think doesn't mean that the New York Times is sugarcoating the news.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Yes, the watch cannot consent and referring to it as shoplifting denotes that the shop owner did not consent to the taking.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Oh, I would never argue that we should look to Charlize Theron for all our answers. But when you're assigned to write 3,000 words about someone, you kind of have to talk to them about something. You can't write 3,000 words about how hot they are, and there is nothing in the world more boring than actors talking about acting. That's why the other stuff enters the frame.

No one here is going to believe me, but I honestly think writing a good, compelling, interesting celebrity profile is one of journalism's greater feats of strength. It's almost impossible.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Tom Hanks allegations would destroy the nation.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Did the spouse consent to the politician's affair? Did the politician's children? Did the mistresses' spouse or children?

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's right. She mentioned him, too.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well said.
    And that is part of the distinction between journalism and 'celebrity journalism.' Right?
    As well as the distinction between practical and philosophical.
    If the NYT goes around publishing about celebrity facelifts because, in a practical sense, there's an audience there, the NYT crosses from journalism to 'journalism.'

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I get the distinction there.
    I am not trying to minimize possible family outcomes from marital infidelity. I'm saying there is no intrinsic news value in it.
    People get hurt in those situations, including children, but that doesn't make it news in of itself.

Politician who drinks a lot - not necessarily news.
    Politician who drinks a lot and drives around - news.

A politician who cheats on spouse - reprehensible behavior, I don't condone it, but not necessarily news.
    A politician who cheats on spouse with an intern who believes he/she must acquiesce in order to advance in a political career - news.

The context may or may not make the infidelity news.
    Just because something is not newsworthy doesn't mean it's not wrong.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Probably not unless one of them crashes into a tree because of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted