1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It is hard. Reminded me of this Tom Chiarella piece.

Celebrity Profiler: Tom Chiarella, in His Own Words

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wasn't Springsteen married to some hot, non-Jersey model and then found Patty during the Born in the USA tour?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

We don't care about adultery. I'm talking harassment/assault/groping/etc.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I believe you. I know they're hard, especially when Charlize Theron, say, now, vs. right after Monster came out, when her work was the story.

I am, in a sense, calling for a world that doesn't exist, where the profile isn't 3,000 words, where we're not waxing philosophical on actors who don't deserve it because an honest piece isn't possible. But, at some point, this coverage of celebrities has diminishing returns in culture. We've reached those returns.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why not?

Stories about affairs drive traffic, so clearly people are interested in it.

Why isn't it newsworthy? Because the people gathering the news would rather it wasn't? Because it's not against the law? Do you want a politician sleeping around on his wife? If virtue and decency means something with our politicians - and in a Trump presidency, journalists of all political persuasions keep telling us it does - and we have this giant sexual harassment scandal going on, you really think there's some clear, bright distinction that makes extramarital affairs - like, say, the one John Edwards had - not newsworthy?

7. Dick Whitman

It's a weird line. You can't write a JFK biography without delving deep into his extra-marital affairs. But if you caught Donald Trump stepping out on Melania tomorrow, I don't consider that newsworthy. Though I'd probably include it in a biography.

It's situational.

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Ah, right. Yeah. I don't disagree. I didn't like writing about a lot of the celebrities I wrote about. (There are exceptions, and they are notable.) The sad fact is, celebrities sell. I've been at places where we've tried not to put celebrities on covers. They sold significantly less. Most outlets can't afford to make that stand.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, the shit you wouldn't. It'd be all over the TV, news Web sites, everything. Of course it'd be newsworthy.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Reporters doing a profile talk to the most obvious people regarding that person. Usually people the subject has pointed them to.

Even adversarial articles often only scratch the surface when looking for sources.

I’ve said it before, but a lot of people wrote about Rudy when I worked for him. Investigative books were published. But, my girlfriend at the time, who handled all of his events and appearances, and her sister, who ran the executive mansion where he lived, were never contacted by a single reporter.

Between the two of them, Rudy was rarely out of their site during the day.

Their names, titles and phone numbers were published in the “Green Book” which was available to the public.

But reporters sought out the usual suspects for comment.

It’s not that hard to track down a former personal assistant, secretary, or production assistant.

Talk to the people who spend the most time with your subject, not just the best friend, co-star, director, or co-anchor.

11. Dick Whitman

It would be, and that would be a travesty.

12. Dick Whitman

@Alma, I think it's difficult for you and I to meet eye-to-eye on this. I would guess you include adultery as "sexual misconduct" on a plane with sexual harassment and assault.

I consider it a private marital problem between two individuals. And maybe not even that.

Draft saved Draft deleted