1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I guess it's a travesty. I'm not sure what makes having extramarital sex such a protected, sacred act.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think it's obviously newsworthy, especially in cases such as Tiger Woods and John Edwards, when the private life runs contrary to the public appearance. And I would say there are certain positions in society, such as president, when it always matters. You want to know who these people really are.

ADD: I might be old-fashioned, but I see adultery as a significant tell of character.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not sacred. It's just not illegal. In 2017, it might not even be deceitful.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I consider it a lie. And it pertains to elected politicians to the highest levels of our government, shouldn't being truthful in such a crucial context matter?

Reagan, W, Obama...not a whiff of rumor around any of the 3 that I can recall. Not Carter or Nixon, either. It's not like it happens with every president.

6. Dick Whitman

What about outing non-married homosexuals?

Do you think media should do that?

(This is not a trick question. I'm exploring the contours of your position.)

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I agree. It's a pretty clear indication of someone's trustworthiness and self-control. You can argue that some people are driven to cheat, but I would argue that most of the time, they should probably be driven to divorce instead.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Tanned, rested and ready.
    [​IMG]

sgreenwell likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lying isn't typically illegal. Trump does it all the time and, damn, it sure as shit flips people out and makes the news. So's when he calls Warren Pocahontas. Why's that such a shitty thing to do, while cheating on Melania is just "meh."

You're not calling me a prude, but one might, and, hey, I got this massive sexual harassment scandal on my side as proof of why, for starters, married men shouldn't be having consensual affairs, for it leads places that get progressively worse.

It's newsworthy. People read it. It's uncomfortable because it buts up against our libertarian society, but so it goes.

10. Dick Whitman

The "massive sexual harassment scandal" is not about "men . . . having consensual affairs[.]"

You are also conflating me saying that a consensual affair isn't newsworthy with me saying that it's "meh." If my brother was stepping out on his wife, I'd kick his ass. But that's different than it being news. I don't usually like "slippery slope" arguments, but where does this end? What if I found out that Tiger Woods told his mom he'd call her on his birthday - but didn't?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not advocating a peep squad for married celebrities having affairs. I am saying what happened to Gary Hart and John Edwards was newsworthy.

I have no idea what the media would generally be doing "outing" a non-married person, although, if it's a single version of Ted Haggard, I can begin to see how it might come about.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Fun little tidbit: That sketch was originally on the unaired last episode of the Dana Carvey Show. When Dana went to host SNL for the first time after leaving as a regular cast member, they decided to use it.

And to bring this thing full circle, one of the lead writers on the Dana Carvey Show was Louis CK.

Double Down likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted