1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is just not true. You don't care. To say no one cares is inaccurate. If you want to argue others shouldn't care, do so.

England has fucking royals, man. Royals! If Will cheated on Kate, that'd be big news. Big news! And the prince doesn't do shit. People care.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'll agree with you that the media got duped (some large percentage of it, at least), but I would submit that his image was foisted on the public first by Nike. The swoosh made Tiger into something he was not. A lot of the media, incorrectly, bit on that lie.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But it was Tiger peddling Buicks and Nike. I didn't see or can't recall any of that marketing that portrayed him as virtuous.

4. typefitter

According to YouTube, this is his first Nike commercial. He was the second coming. His dad, who played a massive role in the myth making that I don't imagine Tiger himself wanted, compared him to Jesus, Gandhi, and Buddha. He was just a really, really good golfer who liked to have rough sex with lots of women. Correcting the record is part of a journalist's job.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well I was talking about a certain context - Clinton, Starr, Jones and Lewinsky.
    But in the larger sense, you are right. I don't care if the president cheats on his wife, and no one else should care.
    Depending on the context of said infidelity.

As for royals, some things are too dumb to discuss, and that includes modern, developed countries still worshipping feudal overlords in the name of historiocity and 'culture.'
    One of the few things dumber is people of another country maintaining and interest in someone else's royals.

6. typefitter

Buck, I like you, but saying no one else should care is a bit like those drivers who go a certain speed in the fast lane and say "if you're driving any faster, you're driving too fast." It's not really up to you.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think this was actually his first Nike spot:

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Golf is such a weird, cloistered beat that a lot of the journos who did know did not dare throw shade at the golden goose.

9. typefitter

Same idea, right? Man who will change the world.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's not "weird."

That is literally every sports beat in existence.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Tiger wasn’t the second coming, he was the Messiah. Jesus was a false prophet. Tiger was the transcendental African American superstar. During his prime critical comments about Tiger meant you were racist. And that’s when racism was bad, not the GOP party platform. No one could really criticize him. Feinstein was one who was critical.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Of course it's not up to me. I think that is understood in the conversation with prefacing everything with 'in my opinion.'
    As I said, there is a difference between practical and ideal.
    If there is an audience and a market for info, there will be people to peddle that info.
    I don't dispute that, and I'm certainly not arguing against a free market for journalism.

I'm lamenting the condition of the information consumers, information peddlers and the information market.

In my opinion, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted