1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBC Fires Matt Lauer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That dog is asking for it, right?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I want to retrace the steps of the coverage of the Texas Congressmsn’s dick again. I feel like st first the tone was, “We got us another one!” followed by a sort of humble retreat.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This might be covering old ground.

But at its most basic, should or shouldn't the line of newsworthiness regarding sexual "misconduct" come down to a question of consent? That's really the line I see drawn in the current scandal(s).

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, but to use the Barton example, if the subject does something many people regard as gross (and many such as myself regard as comical), that's news. It's not news like Moore, Franken, Lauer, et. al., but it is news. Monica Lewinsky's dealings with Bill Clinton were totally consensual. Hard to argue they weren't news.

5. Dick Whitman

To my mind, probably with some exceptions. (Because there are always exceptions.)

The day I’m supposed to root about someone’s consensual sex life is the day I say, “Know what? Maybe this ain’t for me.”

6. Dick Whitman

That’s nuts.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick, I notice you left out my example. Was that for brevity? Hope so. Also, as you well know, there are degrees of newsworthiness. Barton's been on the low end of this news cycle, because his news is "eewww" instead of "he's a monster." But didn't you ever work for a tabloid? Dick pics of a congressman are news.

8. Dick Whitman

I left out the Clinton example because we covered it earlier. She was deposed in a sexual harassment suit and Starr investigated allegations he attempted to suborn perjury from her.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So many to choose from.

12. Dick Whitman

Just wait until yours.

Draft saved Draft deleted