1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's good that you're PO'd at these people. We all should be. But we also know some of these buffoons will win their next re-election campaign with 70 percent of the vote.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The bill the Senate passed is different from the House bill, so who knows how it will end up as they will still have to pass a final bill.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I don't know this. Did the AMT repeal make or fail to make the final Senate bill? It was in-out-in for awhile this week.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I didn't pay that much attention is not the same as "The reporting on the bill was bad."

Vox has been all over the reporting on the bill for weeks/months. So has Dave Weigel, who coveres Congress for the Wash Post.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I’m no political scientist, but it doesn’t seem inherent that tax breaks that favor the wealthy is politically tied to an anti-abortion position.

But here we are.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Edit: that was from last month.

Reuters says this: In another change, the alternative minimum tax (AMT), both for individuals and corporations, would not be repealed in full. Instead, the individual AMT would be adjusted and the corporate AMT would be maintained as is, lobbyists said.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Sure. But the average person outside our realm isn't interested in that. They want to be able to trust "the media." Each time you have a fuck up like ABC's yesterday that further erodes trust. And now that you have a president railing against "fake news" daily, our industry can't be mostly right. No room for error.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The coverage is inevitably skewed toward narratives. It's typical lazy coverage designed to get maximum reaction. But I'm willing to listen to how Vox is covering the tax bill objectively and actually informing the average American about the pros and cons.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Let me know what you think the pros are of 52 senators voting against letting everyone read the bill before voting on it.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Different issue and you know it.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

He still has to set up the transportation bill $$$$$$$$$$$

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Passing a hastily written bill, in the middle of the night, with no democratic votes isn’t perfect, but the flood of liberal tears does take a lot of the sting off of it.

The overreaction is going to drown out any legitimate concerns.

This is the best one I’ve seen so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.