1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Dick doesn't like something typefitter posted. I didn't care for what he did, either, but you aren't exactly a fair-minded judge of anything involving him.

YF did leave the qualifier out and type was write to call him out for the dishonesty involved in doing that.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

In his position, pleading for mercy (which is ridiculous. Trump's personality does not have such a setting, but I'll indulge it for a moment) is *still* obstruction of justice.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know. “Better” =/= “Lawful.”

I’m trying to just game it through aloud.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's the fact Trump fired Comey after his plea was ignored that sets up obstruction. Today's tweet establishes that Trump knew he was covering for a man who'd committed a crime. Let's face it. There will be another tweet taking this one back within hours.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why not? Everybody here is an ex-journalist who found gold-plated streets after they left the business. :)

I Should Coco and HanSenSE like this.
  6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Senate strikes amendment from tax bill that would have benefited college with ties to Betsy DeVos

I admit up front I don't know much about this particular amendment. Apparently, one provision of the tax bill would have given a break to just one college, which happens to have connections to Betsy DeVos. The reporting on this is not as clear as I'd like, but it seems like an illustration of the type of shady bullshit that could be included in a bill that includes handwritten notes in the margins, a bill Republicans wanted rushed through before everybody even had time to read it carefully.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That story has been debunked.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Trump fired Comey after the plea for mercy in the investigation was ignored, and then publicly tweeted that he fired Comey *because* of the investigation.

This isn't a grey area. He's openly telling the world he committed textbook obstruction to *fire the director of the FBI*. If he had done less obstruction and in secret, this would be the equivalent of Watergate. As is, this would be the biggest American political scandal since ... I'm struggling. Teapot Dome?

But nobody cares because the system is truly and irrevocably broken.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

All I keep wondering is when Mr. Met got so interested in Republican politics.

11. Dick Whitman

Look, I think Type is an enormous asshole. I’m on record there.*

But as a psychological case study, he’s endlessly compelling.

* As with anything, I’m willing to reconsider that position if/when he wants to reach out and explain himself/apologize.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Or, he was asking him to use his discretion, and not prosecute him if he didn’t have to.

And, it appears that, prior to the special prosecutor being named, the FBI was prepared to not seek charges against Flynn.

Firing Comey may be the only reason Flynn did end up getting charged.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.