1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No, I don't know that LaVar is doing his younger two sons any favors.

I would like to know what was going on behind the scenes with Gelo at UCLA. It could be that he simply had no future there and LaVar is trying to save face. If he's legitimately trying to get him ready for the draft he's making a mistake. He should realistically try to transfer to a mid-major, or wherever will take him.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The middle one is soon going to have a Kaepernick-like stink to him. The headaches with the dad are not going to be worth the very mediocre talent.

3. poindexter

SJ.com in 2022 is going to look back fondly at the board of this time for when two prominent posters backed two absolute turds: Yankee Fan's love of all things Trump, and PC Loadletter's support of Dad Ball.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No need to wait til 2022 when there are posts, like this one, that've already aged so well:

Neutral Corner and poindexter like this.
  5. poindexter

I am listening to the Lakers flagship radio station and they say that the middle ball has a signature shoe coming out in 2018.

6. poindexter

They also floated the idea that the two younger balls can play on the Lakers G League team here in LA. I'm sure that's exactly what the Lakers brass wants, is more involvement in the franchise from the dad.

7. PCLoadLetter

Eh, that's cool. I'll own that. It's obviously overstated now, but if Lamelo ends up at UCLA it's still a big positive for recruiting there.

And I've said this before, but I'm not particularly a supporter of LaVar -- I just find him really entertaining, and I don't get all of the hand-wringing on here. I refuse to pretend to give a shit if the coach of Chino Hills High School has to deal with distractions. LaVar is funny.

And while I'm here... can someone explain to me how LaVar can "pull his son out of UCLA?" His son is an adult on scholarship. Gelo may well be withdrawing, but to say his daddy is pulling him out is an odd way to write that.

8. poindexter

The youngest ball already has a signature shoe. He isn't stepping foot on the UCLA campus.

9. PCLoadLetter

You may be right, but one shouldn't have anything to do with the other. That's a legal fight the NCAA would lose, I bet.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure about that at this point. Melo is good, but not so good UCLA couldn't find a suitable replacement with less headaches. And I don't see him as a Trevon Duval type where his commitment is going to get a Marvin Bagley to sign on too.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh, c'mon. There's no chance that kid's ever wearing a UCLA uniform now. Them bridges are burned.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  12. poindexter

The oldest ball is a historically bad NBA shooter, played 22 minutes last night and scored two points. The middle ball is a thief and isn't playing college basketball. The youngest ball drives a Ferrari and isn't playing high school ball.

This Grand experiment is blowing up spectacularly.

Draft saved Draft deleted