1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Take a shot. You're in the bonus, one and one.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

I don't think the issue would be that daddy has a shoe business; the NCAA issue would be that the kid has his own signature shoe. Might be a dumb NCAA rule, but the rules is the rules.

And, even if the kid is eligible, his playing options are going to be pretty slim. College coaches are watching this crap go down at UCLA and won't want any part of that family.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The only time he's going to be able to get better at shooting is the off-season. I'll be really curious to see his form next year. I'm willing to bet it doesn't get much better because his shot has always been broken, but maybe he commits to changing his form.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, armchair psychology HOT TAEK ahead: I wonder a little bit whether Lonzo has put pressure on himself to differentiate himself from his father. If you didn't know, would you guess that Lonzo and LaVar are related? Lonzo seems mature for a rookie, "says the right things," etc., etc. He doesn't have the edge or fake-tough-guy-ness that his father does. Maybe on purpose, maybe not.

heyabbott likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll try Peter North imitator, except for what he did later in his career.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Nonsense. I'm sick of seeing this Jason Kidd comparison. It's never struck me as particularly apt.

For starters, Kidd was an absolute lockdown defender, a fixture on the NBA All Defensive teams for a decade straight. Lonzo is nowhere remotely near his class on the defensive end, and often struggles to stay in front of quicker point guards. And young Jason Kidd was a jet, one of the fastest players in the league when he was young, who drove the ball as well as anyone. Lonzo has nowhere near that kind of athleticism (Is there a slower starting point?) or penetration ability.

Yeah, there are a few striking skill similarities (court vision/passing/rebounding), but not enough to justify the frequency with which that comparison gets tossed about. Lonzo's not "Kidd with an uglier shot", he's not any sort of Kidd.

From what I've seen of Lonzo, I think a more apt comparative might be Michael Carter-Williams, a similarly oversized point guard the same height with a similar skill set on both sides of the floor. Although Carter-Williams was far better as a rookie than Lonzo has been.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Ball told ESPN's Ramona Shelburne in October. "I just gotta go down to the hood and say, 'Who wanna ball with my son?'" Pimp’n is easy

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

9. poindexter

Jason Tatum's 3-point percentage is higher than Ball's FT percentage.

Remember when Lonzo wouldn't go work out for the Celtics before the draft?

LOLOLOL

10. poindexter

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Man has no clue how substitution patterns work in the NBA. Just add it to the list of things he has no clue about.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted