1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Typefitter's long-awaited response to "Moneyball."

I am going to hate read the fuck out of this.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Reading back through some of the most recent steam-venting, and I simply have to say this: The idea that @YankeeFan doesn't "believe in experts" is laughable.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Thanks for your concern, Rubella. American publishers generally don't pay considerable sums of money for books that have already been written by someone else. They do like to cite successful "comps"—books that are on the same spectrum of subject, such as the one you've mentioned. While there is an understanding that some subjects deserve multiple looks—it would be weird if there were only one book about the moon landings, for instance, or JFK—those looks have to be different enough to earn their own space on the shelf.

Anything else you'd like to know about book writing and publishing?

4. Dick Whitman

He doesn't show Typefitter the deference that Typefitter believes Typefitter is owed. That's the translation.

5. Dick Whitman

I can fill him in. I've written two books and I think you've only written one.

EDIT: Three if you count the chapter I wrote for a book on cybersecurity law.

It's gotten hard to keep track.

6. typefitter

It got lost in the shuffle. This thread is hard to keep up with.

7. doctorquant

Well fuck, boy do I have some stories to tell. This whole fucking board -- and that includes you -- is about five years in arrears on deference owed me.

About that whole natural rights thing, buster ...

8. doctorquant

Damn! I've had only a dozen or so bylines in the last 15-plus years.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I sure as hell hope it's not about people who cover sports. If this board has proven anything, it's that sports knowledge is not a major requirement in covering a specific beat.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. doctorquant

Once, when I was first starting out, I covered a college football game that ended in a tie. The writer next to me -- covering the game for a daily! -- asked, "How do they do overtime in college?"

11. typefitter

I was going to say that I didn't know @YankeeFan used to be a sportswriter, but he wouldn't have asked the question.

12. doctorquant

I would say "Get it out, get it all out, and then you'll feel better" but ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.