1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How about we just stipulate they are both wrong?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Of the two, only one is lecturing the other one about experts.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Poor use of language by me. Should say "Trump's defenses in the Mueller investigation."

4. Dick Whitman

There is a lot of confusion about what does and does not constitute proper deference to expertise.

Trump hiring people without science degrees for science positions is stupid because it is highly unlikely that the non-degree holders know as much as educated experts in the hard sciences.

However, if Trump Appointee A wants to debate Stephen Hawking and Trump Appointee A challenges the merits of Hawking's position on the space-time continuum, the proper response is not, "I'm right because this is my job."

If Stephen Hawking is right, Stephen Hawking is right because he's right, not because he's Stephen Hawking.

Jssst21 likes this.
  5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't care. The whataboutism isn't a defense for YF, just as his use of whataboutism isn't a valid defense of President Trump.

But please, continue pissing all over the thread with your hatred of typefitter. It really advances the discussion.

BadgerBeer, Iron_chet and WCIBN like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

I don't "hate" typefitter.

I think he's a complete clown show, though.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Suddenly, the Russians have more people to help look for Hillary's emails. I don't think we have a winter games topic yet.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This is very, very debatable. One could easily make the case that the "non-degree holders" bring differing (and invaluable) perspectives to matters that aren't nearly as science-y as is generally thought.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Strange of the IOC to come down on such a swell source of bribes.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

But you get my gist.

If the Twitterer is right and the Pulitzer Prize winner is wrong, I don't understand how being a Pulitzer Prize winner makes the Pulitzer Prize winner right, nonetheless.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yes, we're on the same wavelength here ...

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Wow. That's a fairly significant development.*

*Understatement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.