1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What was the context of the original prominent posters post? Was he in the middle of that beef? Or was it in the midst of a breezy conversation. If he was in the middle of one of his many beefs and his defenses were up, I tend not to believe that it was a joke. If it was in the middle of a light conversation, I would tend to believe that it was a joke.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think it was clearly sarcasm from the beginning, and turned into a running joke.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It was an obvious joke. I'm not sure how anybody could have taken that seriously.

QYFW likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was on the Gronkowski sexual assault thread, in response to @outofplace losing his gourd. I said “several prominent posters” had PMd me to compliment me on my courage in speaking out.

If that’s not obviously a joke, I don’t know what to tell you.

5. Dick Whitman

And there’s one “beef,” really, with several acolytes trying to draft off the starlet in the other corner.

6. YankeeFan

I put this in the wrong thread...

A longtime New Mexico lobbyist said Friday that on the eve of a high-profile vote on a controversial bill eight years ago, a state legislator from Northern New Mexico offered to vote for the measure in exchange for sex.

In an account first reported Friday in The New York Times, Vanessa Alarid said that in 2009 then-Rep. Thomas Garcia, D-Ocate, not only offered her his vote in exchange for sex, but forced a kiss on her and touched her breasts at a downtown Santa Fe hotel.

Lobbyist Alarid accuses former Rep. Garcia of harassment

7. YankeeFan

While not doubting her story at all, but if the Times reported her saying this:

Ms. Alarid, who has not publicly told her story before, was fearful that in coming forward, lawmakers would shut their doors to her and she would lose clients as a lobbyist in Santa Fe, the New Mexico capital. “My relationships with legislators are so important and valuable to my job,” she said.

Should they also have reported this;

Alarid is married to Rep. Antonio “Moe” Maestas, D-Albuquerque, though at the time of the alleged incident she was single. Through the years she has represented a variety of clients with interest in bills before the Legislature.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I believe the cliche you were looking for was going out of his gourd, but that isn't the only problem with this bit of fiction. You backed off to claim it was a joke after being called out for the level of bullshit in your post.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

10. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Gourd damn, this is tedious.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

As I said, I wasn't on the thread in which "prominent posters" was introduced to the world, and like poindexter, I was only later trying to guess its original context when I saw the frequent callbacks.

It sounds like the consensus is that it was intended as a joke. Fair enough. I stand corrected.

As for the joke's quality, to paraphrase Marge Schott, maybe it was good at the beginning, but it went too far. (Yes, that's a joke.)

Happy Sunday!

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't follow chefs that much. Bourdain? Flay? Chang? Guy Fieri?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.