1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What does the Stanton move mean for Harper?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Nothing.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It means the Yankees are far less likely to be an option for Harper, though I doubt it will affect his price tag much.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Not according to Boras:

https://nypost.com/2017/12/09/bryce-harpers-agent-has-good-news-for-yankees-fans/

“A Bronx opera … The Three Tenors … Hal’s genius, vision,” Boras wrote in an email to The Athletic. “Alone the three were stars … now a galaxy of international popularity.”

Asked by The Post whether he thought Harper, Aaron Judge and Stanton could be baseball’s version of the Three Tenors, Boras responded in a text message: “I didn’t say specific players … just that Hal has a love for [the] arts and I am sure he would love the Three Tenors.”

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The 1st 100 million dollar a year OF?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

For a time, George Steinbrenner was obsessed with the idea of a Dave Winfield, Fred Lynn, Reggie Jackson outfield.

7. heyabbott

As much of a Yankee fan as I have been for 50 years. George was a designer brand snob, essentially Trump emulated George, but without the heart.
    Ricky, Winfield and a cast of thousands, Griffey, Collins, Pasquale, Ward .... was comparable at the time

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This sounds like the professional, calming influence the Red Sox need.

Alex Cora's outburst with broadcaster a footnote or an omen?

On Aug. 31, less than two months before he was named Sox manager and at a time of peak anxiety off the field, Cora cursed out Astros broadcaster Geoff Blum on a team bus heading from the airport to the stadium in Houston. When the bus arrived at the Astros’ Minute Maid Park, Cora went off again, screaming at his boss, Astros manager A.J. Hinch.

Both expletive-filled episodes were visible to a large number of the Astros’ traveling party. The confrontations were described to NBC Sports Boston by multiple people with direct knowledge of them, including witnesses.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Boras wants the illusion of the Yankees as a viable option to boost Harper's price tag. This is just his usual bullshit.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When he's eventually fired, I think we already know what the whisper campaign coming out of Fenway will be:

Whether the lack of self-control Cora displayed proves a footnote to Cora’s coaching career or an omen entering his first managerial gig is to be seen.

Multiple sources said Cora had been drinking and that it contributed to his behavior. It is not uncommon for players or staff to drink on travel days. There is no indication Cora has a recurring issue controlling his alcohol intake.

Double Down likes this.
  11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. Short of winning a title this coming year, the Yankees will have reset their luxury tax and lose, at minimum, 33.5 million off the playoff. The question is going to be to add Harper or Machado, depending on how Gleyber Torres fits in. They are going to get one of them.

12. heyabbott

If that’s the choice, Machado is cheaper and a better fit. The Yankees can always find a 3rd OF. But getting a GG 3B is the better choice

Draft saved Draft deleted