1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

3. YankeeFan

Oh yeah. I think you could write that same article about a lot of top chefs.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I see it’s Batali, but I’m just glad this wasn’t when the scandals finally hit our little corner or the Internet. Hard to run from a mob without a full set of toes.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Some of the restaurants I worked in were like the set of Caligula. There was A LOT of fucking going on.

By sheer volume, the restaurant industry might be more incestuous than journalism.

6. YankeeFan

True on both counts. The restaurant industry employs a huge number of people, so you might expect it to have more claims than others.

But, it’s also a very different work environment than other work places. Between the age of the staff, the long, late hours, the booze and drugs, and the inability (due to the hours) to socialize with anyone outside the industry, there is a lot of flirting and sexual relationships.

But, no employee should be subjected to the drunken, creepy, handsy behavior of a guy like Batali.

It’s odd too. His behavior is really bad, but we’ve heard so many bad stories, that I feel like we’re becoming a little desensitized.

Since no one accused him of rape, it’s almost like, “hey this is not so bad,” and of course it’s awful.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Might?

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What do you expect from a grown man who wears crocs?

SpeedTchr and Iron_chet like this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed.

I’d also make the argument that part of what makes Batali a shitty man also informed the supposed excellence of his cooking. As more of these stories pour in, a question will emerge: Is it possible to be “good” and “great” at the same time in some industries?

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Should have known it was Batali. Fits the poin profile.

11. YankeeFan

I think on some ways it’s hard to be a perfectionist and not be an asshole. Take a Steve Jobbs as an example.

And, Mario probably is an asshole, and is more of an asshole when he’s drunk.

But, not every asshole also sexually harasses women.

The thing is, no employee should be subjected to humiliating, abusive behavior. The sexual nature of his humiliating, abusive behavior takes it to another level, but none of it should be tolerated.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Didn't we all grow out of the "Oops, I spilled my drink right on your boobs!" shtick by ninth grade?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.