1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Sure.
    LaVar is playing three dimensional chess, while the rest of us are playing checkers.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Can an agent take out an insurance policy on his clients?

(And then hope they all drive off a cliff?)

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Speaking for myself, he makes me so damn mad because he's the helicopter parent taken to the nth degree. And I cannot stand helicopter parents.

HanSenSE and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

While the middle kid had no pro future, he at least had the opportunity for a free education from one of America's greatest universities. That's gone.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Lithuania in January does not sound like the softest landing spot, post-UCLA.

If I were a sports editor, I'd send Flinder Boyd there to write the story.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There has to be a reality show in the making, no?

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's the basketball version of this, minus the likability and happy ending.

8. poindexter

Apparently there already is, it is supposed to be on Facebook.

9. poindexter

How does a Ferrari drive on Lithuanian small town roads in January?

Tweener likes this.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Maybe you've been giving him a lot more credit for being intelligent and calculating than he actually is.
    He has managed to draw a lot of media attention but that is a means to an end, not an objective in of itself.
    If he doesn't manage to successfully monetize all of the exposure he's gotten, he might not be as smart as you think he is.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Let me make this as clear as possible, because you are not getting it:

I am not perplexed by the Lithuania deal because I think the Balls are much more valuable overseas.

I am perplexed by the Lithuania deal because I don't think LaVar Ball has any intention of sending the kids to Lithuania. Hence, I think he's working an angle. I don't know what it is. Hell, he may not know what it is. It may be a stupid angle. His options seem to be limited and bad. Whatever those options may prove to be, I don't think he'll find one worse than a team with no money in the Baltic League.

And for everyone who pointed out that Gelo had a college basketball future: have you seen anything that suggests he cares about that? I don't know that he does.

Sorry I haven't jumped on the "LaVar is the devil" train. That seems to be upsetting. Feel free to go back over my posts -- I know you enjoy that -- and you'll see from the beginning I find him to be amusing and I'm befuddled by why people get so pissed off. A lot of what he does is indefensible. Mostly I have just refused to care about stuff that leaves everyone else seething.

12. poindexter

For the 1,000th time, pc, nobody is pissed off. Nobody is seething.

The dad is a gigantic turd who you find entertaining (he's not).

For you to keep writing that people are pissed and seething is a poor deflection on your part.

Stoney likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted