1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's not anything. There has to be more than this.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's a little weird to continue to call a co-worker "doll face."

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Is Matt Barrie the top of the food chain white Sportscenter anchors? Because he sucks.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Agreed, but perhaps there was some earlier context that makes it a little less weird? I don't know ... those texts sure don't strike me as the stuff of Weinstein.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sure, but do you see harassment in those texts?

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I didn't know Buccigross could be dorkier than he is on camera. But there's the evidence.

7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Just trying to get you into the mindset.

If you went through all of the 600+ TV newsrooms, cable nets, regional nets and broke out the demos -- I'd estimate that 75% of the sports anchors/reporters are white males. White males, generally, don't make the Quincy, IL to Indianapolis to ESPN moves by age 24.

It's not that ESPN isn't trying to "look like America", it's that far too many white males compete for the slots for, well, white males. That's why they're at a disadvantage here.

Let me offer an example. When I was in sports, many news directors would bring in 3 people - strictly demographics. The best white male, the best non-white male and the best female from the 400 applicants for a sports anchor position. That usually meant I had to beat out 350 applicants, while the other two categories had to beat out, say, 25 applicants.

That's why big market/ESPN white male anchors have oversized egos.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Maybe your concern should be with why 75% of the anchors in places like Quincy are white males.

9. Dick Whitman

I think so, probably. He’s definitely fishing.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Perhaps you missed my point, not uncommon. It's that most white males in sports don't make the move from market 175 to Market 25 to ESPN within two years. Happens all the time as many news directors hire sports based on demographics.

There is definitely an advantage to bring a 35 year old male - white or otherwise - in TV news and not sports. Most of the young men wash out by the time they're 25 for higher paying jobs. Too many female anchors constantly trying to move up before they turn 40 and age out.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And she seems receptive. Is fishing now harassment?

Now obviously there’s very little context in what was revealed but these texts alone don’t read like harassment to me.

12. Dick Whitman

Put yourself in her shoes, though. Your superior keeps calling you "dollface" and #longlegs in work texts, and apparently sending a shirtless photo of himself, unsolicited. I guess she could have affirmatively told him to knock it off, but he put her in an awful position. I could not imagine sending messages like that to a female co-worker.

Here is a string of my recent messages with a former female co-worker who was an underling. For context, she is both young and pretty. And yet, remarkably, we are able to get through this exchange without me calling her "dollface" or taking off my shirt:

Dick: SEND ME IT! :)

Underling: Now here's to hoping the state doesn't appeal and judge X follows this without much hassle ...

Dick: Holy shit, that's an actual win. She's been ordered to accept the plea agreement.

Dick: I wonder if you could get the State not to appeal if we agree to x or x years. I guess they don't get a ton out of that, but still.

Underling: Yep!! Range is x-x, So worst case is x years. He's been in for x, Times 2 for day for day credit is x. So max two more years if Judge X insists on x years!

Underling: They won on standard of review and this is clearly limited to the facts of Client's case, so hopefully they won't appeal at all.

Dick: Would have been nice to have had a little more reasoning in there for the decision. Geez.

Underling: Seriously. But I guess less to appeal, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.