1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: So we were talking about rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 18, 2017.

1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Told each other at the game? Bravo, sir.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Just the NFL. I'd have no problem taking them to hang with the fine people at a White Sox game.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He's been bugging me for a while to go. If he wants to do anything other than play "Minecraft," read about "Minecraft," or draw "Minecraft" characters, I'm all ears.

I actually think that the fact that it's a Christmas Eve game between two terrible teams is a good way to introduce him. I don't think it'll be very rowdy.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I was just thinking that it's one of the few games the Bears SHOULD win, so if things go accordingly, it should be relatively pleasant. On the other hand, if the crowd watches the Bears lose to an 0-14 team ...

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Just don't cheat on him.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No, that was on the phone before we made the trip. We did attend a UVA basketball game the day before the football game, which featured the following exchange:

Girlfriend: "The guy I hooked up with had bigger muscles than you."
    Big Circus: "Well, the girl I hooked up with was thinner than you."

I can't believe we didn't last.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

At least she said muscles.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Thinner girl and you weren't the one who paid to see Spergon Wynn duel Elvis Grbac?
    [​IMG]

Batman and Big Circus like this.
  9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Took my 12-year-old to Foxboro for Pats-Chargers in October -- his first game. It was fine. It was a 1 pm start. I'd imagine it's the 4 pm and Sunday night games -- where people still start drinking at 9 or 10 am and have 3 extra hours before they enter the stadium that it gets ugly. I wouldn't know. I go to 1-2 games a year and I'll only go for a 1 p.m. start. Otherwise the next day is living hell.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fair point. Most of the games I've been to there were 4:25 or 8:30 p.m. starts. At least one drunken fight broke out pretty much every time.

11. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

My first NFL game, when I was 11, was pretty good -- The Billy Sims/Eric Hipple Lions beat the Cowboys on a last-second Eddie Murray FG with 12 men on the field, but it didn't get called. Dallas Cowboys at Detroit Lions - November 15th, 1981 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

My 2nd NFL game -- Lions vs. Eagles at the Vet in 1986 as a teenager was probably the worst football game I've ever seen either in person or on TV. And the Philly fans -- especially up in the 700s where we were sitting -- truly lived up to their billing. The N-bombs directed at a young and ineffective Randall Cunningham were definitely eye-opening. Detroit Lions at Philadelphia Eagles - November 16th, 1986 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My first game was 1956, Browns at Eagles. The year before the Browns got Jim Brown and the year after Otto Graham retired. I think it was like their only losing season in a 20-year period. Eagles were mediocre too. As I was six years old, I loved it. PS: It was at the old Connie Mack Stadium (Shibe Park). Eagles had yet to move to Franklin Field.

Draft saved Draft deleted