1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Like starlin Castro?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seriously, I know the Marlins didn't get full value for Stanton, but some folks insist on acting as if Castro has no value at all.

Yes, it was primarily a salary dump, but this is what MLB's financial system encourages. It's hard to blame the Marlins for it. They don't have the money and everybody knows it.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That process becomes much harder when the player controls where he can go.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

They have the money, they’re choosing not to spend it.

5. outofplace

I'm talking about revenue, not owners digging into their pockets and losing massive amounts of money. My apologies for using shorthand that confused you.

6. outofplace

Marlins GM has blunt message for any remaining players who want trades

Speaking of the Marlins, they are not happy with remaining players such as Yelich and Realmuto for wanting out.

That's a load of crap. The team sells off its two best players without getting proper value in return and those that remain are supposed to just shut up? I certainly understand the team denying their requests to be traded, but to expect them to keep quiet is a bit much.

When I say they didn't get proper value, I mean the actual players they got in return. I know payroll relief was part of the value, but I don't see why Yelich and Realmuto should care.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It's funny that you think they are losing massive amounts of money.

8. outofplace

Of course, the money is relative, but it is funny that you think teams should consistently spend more money than they take in.

It is also funny that you can't just admit the very clear reality that despite improvements in recent years, the playing field still isn't close to level in MLB. It must be tough being such an apologist for a bunch of millionaires and billionaires that you can't acknowledge that simple truth.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

None of this is actually funny.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jeter/Sherman/etc. may not be losing massive amounts of money, but they did acquire $400 million in debt. The math is pretty simple.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are showing your ass. They don't lose a cent. They pocket their revenue sharing money and kicked the ass of their taxpayers in getting their stadium.

They somehow could afford Stanton the last two years.

12. outofplace

They would have had to lose money to keep him. Their revenues aren't even close to franchises like the Yankees and Dodgers.

Of course, if baseball had a salary floor or if it did not allow teams to pocket revenue sharing money, some of the problem could be avoided. But those are also flaws in MLB's financial system that you refuse to acknowledge because you are too much of an apologist.

I've said all along that what baseball needs most is a salary floor, something the NFL has along with its cap. I've said all along that teams shouldn't be able to pocket revenue sharing money. That MLB does not have a floor simply adds to my point regarding the deep flaws in its financial policy.

NFL is always going to have an advantage in sharing revenue because such a large percentage of the revenue is from national television contracts while much of the money coming in to MLB teams is regional. That makes a salary cap and floor more important, not less, for MLB.

Draft saved Draft deleted