1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

A financial system that makes every team profitable. How horrible.

You can't have a salary floor with linkage to revenue.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The NFL has a salary floor. MLB could have one, too. It chooses not to, and you get teams pocketing revenue sharing money.

The goal should be a financial system that makes every team profitable and puts them on a level playing field. The NFL has that. MLB isn't even close.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So you are expecting a sport that makes the majority of its money regionally rather than nationally to pool all that money and divided equally? Never going to happen and never should happen.

5. Steak Snabler

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

There isn't going to be a floor without a cap and there isn't going to be a cap.

7. outofplace

No, I never said that. I'm sorry you are having such trouble keeping up.

I'm saying a sport that cannot pool all that money and divide it equally has an even greater need for a salary floor and cap than one that does have a more even division of revenue, such as the NFL. They could base it on the actual revenues of the existing teams, including revenue sharing money. It would be complicated and it would require teams to actually open their books to one another, but it would provide a more level playing field and it would keep teams that receive revenue sharing money from misusing it.

8. outofplace

Because the teams with money like their built-in advantage and the low-revenue franchises like being able to slash payroll to line their own pockets when they feel like it.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'm not understanding this one. They get rid of Span's salary, but they're taking on an overpaid 32-year-old who's coming off his worst season too.

But I guess they saw enough of Arroyo to think he had no future. Longoria will at least be a functional hitter next year. Still nothing this off-season that puts them any closer to the Dodgers, though.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Even numbered year?

11. Steak Snabler

Longoria is also under contract through 2023 at a total of about $93 million.

12. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

No, because players don't want a cap and don't want a floor because it sets the precedent for managing teams' spending.

Draft saved Draft deleted