1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Who cares? The director and producer of the televised event who controls who appears on the screen and who the commentators and analysts talk about. I mostly Agee with your post. When players are motivated to play in the regular season the NBA is worth watching as an exhibition of the best basketball in the word.

2. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

That's the point. On the news, the featured highlight was Loudmouth & Lee. Maybe one clip of Porzingis and one of Ball -- YAY!! -- dunking. Never seen that. Go ahead and love it if you want. I don't.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I think it may be a false presumption that they "picked" at all. Sounds likely that they simply had no better offers. Either this or don't play at all.

Although that article does a nice job revealing true motives here. For the financially-broke club it's getting some online attention that might enable them to do something like this:

And for Lavar it's likely this:

"What’s in it for LaVar Ball besides the chance to crow about his younger sons playing professional basketball as teenagers? More attention for the fledgling Big Baller Brand and some potential fodder for the third season of the Ball in the Family reality TV show. Get ready for footage of LaMelo and LiAngelo trying to order dinner off a Lithuanian menu. It will be the basketball version of Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie trying to milk a cow on The Simple Life."

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You said you don't care about basketball anymore, and your reason is that the brief highlight package on the news showed LaVar and Spike Lee. That doesn't seem weird to you?

This is an absolute golden age for the NBA. Like I said, that game was worth watching for Porzingis alone.

I also watched Minnesota-Philly last night. Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons vs. Karl Anthony Towns, Jimmy Butler and Andrew Wiggins. That one also went overtime. Great entertainment.

The vast majority of the teams in the NBA have a least one guy worth tuning in for. The quality of basketball has never been better -- and I grew up in SoCal during the Showtime era.

But, yeah, LaVar had good seats for his son's game.

Iron_chet and Big Circus like this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I said “that was among the many reasons ...”. And seeing Loudmouth & Lee is not weird to me, it’s the norm. It’s among the things that are out of whack in this game.
    To be clear, when I retired from my newspaper career I figured out what I followed because I was interested in it, as opposed to what I followed because I had to to be informed enough to put out our daily news product. As time went by, basketball became less important.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The American people are far to smart to vote in such a buffoon.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I like this idea.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And after BBB, corporate sponsors are? Even with all the money I'm getting from the tax cut, if I'm a corporate bigwig I'm not hitching my wagon to this train wreck.

cjericho likes this.
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I do too. He's totally overreaching with the logistics -- NBA arenas? -- but it's a solid idea.

Needs a TV deal to work, though.

Tweener and sgreenwell like this.
  12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

$10k flat rate for every player?
    What will be Ball's take?
    Once he burns through investor money, where's the revenue coming from?
    If this ever gets off the ground, how long until reports of players not getting their checks or other staff and vendors not getting paid what they're owed?
    Why do people keep giving the carnival barker a platform?

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted