1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Outfielders are the easiest thing to find especially if you care less about power. In all three world championships, they had at least one starter who wasn't there at the beginning of the year. A heavy dose of scrap-heap guys too (Burrell, Andres Torres, Blanco, Juan Perez).

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

A lot of it is they've gone all-in on pitching, with results like Cain, Lincecum and Bumgarner, and have filled in holes at the trade deadline. They're shifting more to growing more of their own and analytics.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And even the bare bones ideas I proposed sailed right over the pile jumper's head. No surprise there.

Try again, JC. If you actually read the posts and try really hard, even you can get it. I'm sorry if that sounds condescending, but that you can't even understand that you can base a salary floor on revenues without having a cap really makes me wonder about your mental capacity.

Of course, I don't recommend doing it that way. The better solution is a floor and a cap. It's also the realistic one, but not because of the players and it's not because you can't have a floor without a cap. It's because you have fallen for the bullshit the owners have been feeding you for years. The owners have conned people in believing you have to have both because they don't want either. They don't want a level playing field. The high-revenue teams want to be able to buy a championship and the low-revenue franchises want to be able to bottom out and boost their profits.

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

JC likes this.
  6. outofplace

The pile jumper doesn't need your help. He has proven capable of creating useless, repetitive, lazy posts all by himself.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Silly me, thinking all of these new posts meant something had happened.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yonder Alonso, two years, $16 mil from the Indians.

9. outofplace

That seems like they are paying for a career year and still getting a significant downgrade from Santana.

10. outofplace

Bob Nutting tells Trib he has 'no interest' in selling the Pirates

Speaking of the impact of finances on baseball, Bob Nutting broke the hearts of Pirates fans everywhere by saying he has no interest in selling the team. In fact, he has said he wants to follow the Rooney family example and pass the team down to his daughters. Maybe one of them can play the role of Dan Rooney and redeem her father's failed ownership.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Assuming he'll be in a platoon at first given his splits.

The Indians have been wizards at making those work the last few years.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Career half year.

Draft saved Draft deleted