1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Actually, if he's savvy, he could put it on Facebook Live an monetize the hell out of it.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ya know, there are even bigger turds than LaVar Ball. Like Rick Pitino.

I'd love to see teen basketball $$ go to the players instead of coaches.

LongTimeListener and Tweener like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

This. Outside of the G-League, you've just described every minor league hoops league in North America.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Batman likes this.
  4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Does this top the money they are making from the college and alumni?

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm sick and tired of these young men being preyed upon and taken advantage of by these colleges and universities.
    I want to prey upon them and take advantage of them myself.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Isn't this essentially what the NBA's G-League is?
    Can't the G-League take players straight out of high school?

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He's talking out of his ass on the NBA arena side of this.
    It's not like renting out the local community building for Aunt Gertrude's family reunion. Way too many logistics for that to happen.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

There already are appealing options for talented players who don't really want to attend college. Hell, North Carolina created an entire fake Academic Department to accommodate those kids--and the NCAA gave it de facto approval by refusing to punish for it. Avoiding real college has never been much problem for the one and dones.

The difference, obviously, is this idea includes a salary--but Lavar will never produce the needed money, nor get the NBA arenas or TV contract/sponsorship, nor anything else needed to actually make it happen. But making this announcement does successfully serve one function--it gets Lavar Ball back in the news cycle and atop ESPN's front page after an uncharacteristic lull of a week or so.

Something like this inevitably will happen--but it won't be done by Lavar Ball--instead it'll happen when the NBA gets rid of the one and done rule and makes the G-League a more viable option. Those things are going to happen, and then this idea instantly becomes obsolete.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Tweener likes this.
  9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He launches a league, eh?

Where are the schedules? What are the team names? What cities and arenas will be used?

He didn't launch a league. He only said he is going to.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Eventually, I think there will be too many headaches dealing with NCAA shit and the NBA will actually form a robust minor league. I have no clue if that's five, 10 or 50 years away, though.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This makes him the 1,000,000th alleged entrepreneur to try to launch a pro basketball league to compete with the NBA. All are big in promises. None deliver.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yep. Just have to be 18. This is a problem with the notion that HS grads who want to make money playing basketball are powerless.
    They can go to the G League. It stands to reason that if they're good enough, they'll get noticed by the NBA. They won't make nearly as much money as those who wait and enter the NBA Draft a year later, but the idea that they're hostages and mistreated by having to go to college is overstated to say the least.
    The NBA should rescind the 19-year-old age limit and adopt the baseball model.
    If you don't want to put up with being exploited in college hoops, you don't have to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted