1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: So we were talking about rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 18, 2017.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

That was for a playoff spot, correct?
    The radio guy screaming "noooo" on the missed XP is one of my favorite calls ever

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure if it would have clinched one. They might have needed some other things to fall into place IIRC. But they definitely needed to win the game to have a chance.
    And the announcer is the great Jim Henderson, who had another of the all-time great calls when the Saints won the NFC championship in 2009. The mix of astonishment, relief, disbelief and sheer joy in his voice makes me smile every single time:

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That wasn't Russell Erxleben.

That was First Round Draft Pick as a Kicker And Punter Who Eventually Became Too Scared To Kick and Decided To Just Be a Punter Russell Erxleben.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seahawks fined for not following concussion protocol

The NFL fined the Seahawks $100,000 for a violation of the league's concussion protocol. I believe that makes them the first team to even pay a fine for this shit. This was from an incident during which Russell Wilson was injured with a blow to the jaw. The officials sent him off to be checked for a concussion. He went into the blue tent, but before medical personnel could arrive, Wilson ran right back on the field and nobody caught it.

The fine is a joke. I know the coaches have a lot going on, but how does nobody make sure the star quarterback gets checked out properly?

The protocol continues to lack real teeth, so teams are going to continue to pull this shit.

Still no word from the league regarding the horrible mishandling of Tom Savage's concussion.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wonder if part of that 100K was a make-up when the NFL was pummeled for not fining Bennett for going at a guys knees -- twice.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I foresee a petition to allow teams to draft players out of high school.

Jerry Jones' grandson went out in epic fashion Friday night, again leading his Dallas high school to a state championship while becoming the first quarterback to throw for more than 500 yards in a UIL Texas state title game.

But that was only icing on the cake for Highland Park senior John Stephen Jones in a 53-49 win over Manvel in the Class 5A Division I finale at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, the home of his grandfather's Dallas Cowboys.

Highland Park was down 49-39 with three minutes to play.

Jerry Jones' grandson hero in Texas HS finale

Kid is choosing from among Arky, TTech and SMU.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can imagine the desire to go to BigTimeU, but it seems like going to an FCS school might give him more of a chance to play AND play against some big time schools.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

SMU isn't exactly big time. I'd bet he'd get a chance to play there.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I fail to see why it is assumed Jones can't play at the major college level. He has excelled at the top level of Texas high school football. There's really not much more any high school QB could do to credential themselves.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So much for the narrative that the Steelers were simply saving James Harrison for the stretch run and playoffs. They cut Harrison today to make room to activate Marcus Gilbert.

The guy made one play all season, a clutch sack late in the victory over the Chiefs, but every other time he was on the field, he disappeared. I understand the sentiment involved. He is very well-liked in that locker room and among a significant part of the fan base. Given his history of violent behavior off the field, I'm a bit less sympathetic.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, QB is enough of a crapshoot to begin with, I don't see why he wouldn't have a chance to get on a roster and make some hay.

But according to his recruiting profile, he's 5-10, 175. That's a problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted