1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nouton? He’s a shortstop in Seattle.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Says the guy who was too dumb to realize he admitted I was right.

You keep claiming I said there would be no linkage to revenue. That is completely wrong. I'm sorry. I'm not an elementary school teacher, so I'm not used to having to break things down to the level you need.

Just because you don't understand the answer I gave doesn't mean I didn't give one. I guess that concept is beyond you as well.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Jon Heyman today on WFAN suggested he thinks the Yankees are targeting - and likely to get - Gerritt Cole from the Pirates for probably Clint Frazier and a couple of younger minor leaguers (no Gleyber Torres).

He also said he thinks the Yankees may be able to move Ellsbury, who has a no-trade and previously said he wanted to stay in NYC. I can't imagine why anyone would want Ellsbury, but Cashman might lock up MLB Executive of the Year in January if he's able to move him. Heyman seems to think San Francisco is the most likely taker (if he moves at all).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The joys of checking this forum via cell phone.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maybe if the Giants were this aggressive in odd years, they’d win in those years too.

7. outofplace

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But that's when players are getting traded now. Teams aren't as interested any more in dealing soon-to-be free agents. They want players under team control. It's why the Orioles can't move Manny Machado and why the White Sox were able to move Chris Sale, Jose Quintana, and Adam Eaton for enormous returns.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

BAC4F11D-251D-4DEE-82BC-CEFFC009F0BE.jpeg

10. outofplace

I see JC is crying because I've proven my point even more convincingly. It really is sad to see him so upset and confused.

11. outofplace

If the Pirates actually get an enormous return on Cole, then it may be a smart move by management. When ownership is pushing too hard to unload salary, that's when teams don't get the value they should for players like him.

That said, you raise a valid point. Thank you for engaging in an actual discussion rather than following the pile-jumper's lead.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted