1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: So we were talking about rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 18, 2017.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And both networks will have doubleheaders, IIRC.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, they've been doing that in Week 17 for a while now.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never heard of or met of a person who didn't ask/demand/prefer to be referred to as "Mr". or "Dr." so and so instead of their first name, who wasn't a jerk. Al Davis, Bill Cosby, Trump. I'm sure there are others. It's embarrassing all around.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

5. DanOregon

Its easy to dismiss Caldwell, as long as your realize he has the highest winning percentage of any non-interim coach in the franchise going back 60 years, third highest overall. More respected coaches have had much less success.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

You really are setting a low bar if you use the Detroit Lions history of the last 60 years as a standard.

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. DanOregon

I just know they dismiss coach after coach - then get someone who gets them to the playoffs and suddenly they expect a Super Bowl, dump the guy who has had decent success (though no playoff wins) and end up cycling down again. Maybe they keep the staff together and elevate someone (worked in Jacksonville).

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did he underperform with the talent provided? That should at least be the 1st question asked before firing a coach

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Of course, the Bills are used to getting the shaft against NE. It even predates Belichick/Brady, although not Kraft:

PRO FOOTBALL: Officials Help the Patriots While the Jets Help Themselves; A Timely Interference Call Aids Bledsoe's Latest Heroics

Forever known in WNY as the "Just Give It To 'Em" game, or the Fiasco in Foxborough.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think best case, he's the Lions' version of Marvin Lewis. Historically bad organization gets coach that can at least make them mediocre / fringe playoff team. I doubt any excellent coach is going to want to go there anyway, so you might as well roll with Caldwell (or Lewis), unless you're serious about providing a stable management structure and what not.

11. DanOregon

My main point is that only two of the Lions losses this year were by more than one score - lost the other five by an average of five points. They aren't great in any area, but aren't terrible in any area. The Bengals were their first loss to team with a losing record. They beat the Vikings by seven on the road and lost by seven at home.
    I imagine most of the ire aimed at Caldwell is being just 4-3 at home and Caldwell isn't the most animated of coaches on the sideline.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

One would think losing those close games would be about coaching.

Draft saved Draft deleted